maximum thickness for dry cure?

Air dried cured Meat Techniques

maximum thickness for dry cure?

Postby aris » Thu Nov 25, 2004 11:29 pm

Is there a maximum thickness of meat you can cure using a dry cure such as Franco's bacon cure? I was thinking of doing a deboned pork leg or shoulder. Would that work?
aris
Site Admin

Postby Spuddy » Fri Nov 26, 2004 8:37 am

It should be fine.
Don't forget that hams like Prosciutto, Serrano, Speck, Black forest etc. are all dry cured (and they're not boned).
Franco's bacon cure wouldn't be appropriate for that type of ham but if you're going to be cooking the result then you could use it.
Spuddy
Site Admin

Postby aris » Fri Nov 26, 2004 8:46 am

So, has anyone tried this? If I dry-cured a joint with a bone-in - what would the procedure be? I've noticed that if you over-cure a bacon joint, it goes greenish/grey. If I dry cured a large joint like this - would I get the same problem as I assume it would have to sit in the cure for some time.
aris
Site Admin

Dry Cured Pork Leg

Postby Parson Snows » Sat Nov 27, 2004 6:08 pm

Aris

For me to give you an accurate answer can you let me know the following

1) what is the size (weight) of the leg that you are looking at?
2) will it be smoked after curing or not?
3) are you looking at a completely dry cure or a combination "Dry Salt " cure

then I'll get back to you

Kind regards

Parson Snows

PS I'll be posting my Dry Cured UK style bacon recipe next week
Heavenly Father Bless us
And keep us all alive
There's ten around the table
And food enough for five... Amen
Parson Snows
Registered Member

Postby aris » Sat Nov 27, 2004 7:10 pm

I have no specific requirements. I took some of Franco's cure and cured a belly to use for streaky bacon - but then decided to cook it whole in the overn instead of using it for bacon. It really came out well - so I thought what it wouldbelike to cure a boned shoulder, or a leg or something like that. I suspect it would come out something like a ham - but from what i've been reading, hams are brine cured and usually pumped which reduces the curing time.

I don't have the fridge space to brine cure anything - so thought that maybe I could use a dry cure to do the same thing.

If you want an example, lets say i'm using a 2kg shoulder which is probably 4 inches in diameter whole (not rolled and tied).
aris
Site Admin

Ham Curing

Postby Parson Snows » Sun Nov 28, 2004 1:01 pm

Aris

First of all it's really only the "Lesser expensive" ie CHEAP hams that are brine cure/pumped for the mass markets. The quality hams are still typically air-dried, bag cured etc. that is the main reason that you pay so much for these types of hams. The amount of time that they are cured/dried and the amount of weight loss that occurs over this period.

You mention that you don't have any space for brine tanks etc. in the fridge. Do you have somewhere that is cold enough (between 36 �F to 40 �F (2 �C to 4 �C) preferably with good air circulation that you could hang this "ham" bagged up? This time of year in a lot of countries is just right for curing hams. DO NOT GO OUTSIDE OF THIS TEMPERATURE RANGE. Going lower will arrest the curing process, and at temperatures higher than 40 �F (4 �C) you risk the chance of the meat spoiling.

Kind Regards

Parson Snows
Last edited by Parson Snows on Sun Nov 28, 2004 3:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Heavenly Father Bless us
And keep us all alive
Parson Snows
Registered Member

Postby aris » Sun Nov 28, 2004 3:32 pm

I might be able to do it in my garage. I'll have to stick a thermometer there and see what the temperatures are like. What I was thinking of was just leaving it bagged in my fridge - sort of how I make bacon.

I've been toying with the idea of making some of the lovely dry-cured hams on Len Poli's site. Just need to get the courage to do so. I've got some cure #2 which Franco kindly sent me - i'm keen to give it a try.
aris
Site Admin

Postby Fatman » Mon Nov 29, 2004 5:23 pm

Aris

Do yourself a favour, get a leg of pork no more than 12lb, cure it like you would your bacon and on christmas eve boil it 20 mins per lb plus 20mins. Christmas day give the ham 20 mins plus in your oven with a marmalade glaze and tell us all about it on boxing day!!!

Regards

Fatman
Fatman
Registered Member

Postby aris » Mon Nov 29, 2004 5:28 pm

12lb is a bit big! Will the dry cure keep it from spoiling in the fridge for a whole month?
aris
Site Admin

Postby Fatman » Mon Nov 29, 2004 10:39 pm

Yes -conv-
Fatman
Registered Member

Dry Cured products

Postby Parson Snows » Tue Nov 30, 2004 11:39 am

Not that I'm suggesting that you attempt this but dry cured products IF DONE CORRECTLY should be capable of staying edible for up to a year with no refrigeration. After all that was originally the whole purpose of the dry curing. Preserving meats etc after the Martinmas culling etc to last through to the next spring/summer time.

Kind Regards

Parson Snows
Heavenly Father Bless us
And keep us all alive
Parson Snows
Registered Member

Postby aris » Tue Nov 30, 2004 1:01 pm

So would you suggest that I cure it using cure #2 which has nitrate?

I seem to recall Franco saying that his bacon cure had nitrite and nitrate in it - perhaps you could confirm Franco?
aris
Site Admin

cure 2

Postby Franco » Tue Nov 30, 2004 8:45 pm

it has Sodium nitrate and Sodium nitrite,

Franco
Franco
Site Admin

Postby aris » Tue Nov 30, 2004 9:04 pm

Thanks franco.

So do you think it would work for a dry cure ham?

Or perhaps I could use the Cure #2 you sent me - but at 1tsp per 5lbs of meat, I don't see how i'll be able to spread it thinly enough on a whole leg of pork.
aris
Site Admin

warning

Postby Franco » Tue Nov 30, 2004 9:16 pm

Aris,

It is very important that you know the dangers associated with misuse of nitrates...It sounds like you are about to use neat cure 2 on your meat. This will almost certainly poison somebody.

Cure 2 is used as an ingredient of a combined cure using salt, sugar and spices. It must NEVER be used neat as you suggest.

If you are not sure of the use of cure 2 please follow a tried and tested recipe first, Len poli's recipes all work and I would recommend that you use one of his recipes before you start to experiment with your own .

Franco
Franco
Site Admin

Next

Return to Curing Techniques