Standardised methods of analysis for Nitrates/Nitrites

Air dried cured Meat Techniques

Standardised methods of analysis for Nitrates/Nitrites

Postby Parson Snows » Wed Dec 29, 2004 8:10 am

Oddley

I hope that this sheds some more light on the subject for you. I�m sorry but I don�t have any of these standards, though as they are CEN standards I would expect them to be somewhat pricey.

Food chemical safety
Volume 2: Additives
Edited by
David H. Watson
Published 2002 by Woodhead Publishing Limited (ISBN 1 85573 563 6)
www.woodhead-publishing.com

5.7 Standardised methods of analysis for additives

There are many organisations that publish standardised methods of analysis for additives, such methods normally having been validated through a collaborative trial organised to conform to one of the internationally accepted protocols described previously. Such organisations will include AOACI, the European Organisation for Standardisation (CEN) and the Nordic Committee for Food Analysis (NMKL). Within Europe, the most important of these international standardising organisations is probably CEN. CEN has a technical committee dealing with horizontal methods of analysis in which both additive and contaminant methods of analysis are discussed (TC 275). The methods of analysis for additives within its work programme are outlined below. This is given by Working Group. The titles under the Working Group heading refer to the work item (topic area) of that Working Group. The Working Groups not listed (e.g. 3, 4 etc.) are concerned with contaminant methods of analysis and have been discussed previously.20

Work programme of CEN TC 275 Working Group 7: Nitrates
Published standards
12014-1:1997/A1:1999 Determination of nitrate and/or nitrite content �
Part 1: General considerations
12014-2:1997 Part 2: HPLC/IC method for the determination of nitrate content of vegetables and vegetable products
12014-3:1998 ENV Part 3: Spectrometric determination of nitrate and nitrite and nitrite content of meat products after enzymatic reduction of nitrate or nitrite
12014-4:1998 ENV Part 4: IC method for the determination of nitrate and nitrite of meat and meat products
12014-5:1998 Part 5: Enzymatic determination of nitrate content of vegetable-containing food for babies and infants
12014-7:1998 Part 7: Continuous flow method for the determination of nitrate content of vegetables and vegetable products after cadmium reduction

kind regards

Parson Snows
Heavenly Father Bless us
And keep us all alive
There's ten around the table
And food enough for five... Amen
Parson Snows
Registered Member

Return to Curing Techniques