bacon curing

Air dried cured Meat Techniques

Postby TobyB » Mon Feb 14, 2005 12:52 pm

I don't think you could cold smoke with it unless your smoke source came from an external fire as if the heat source was in the lower barrel the top section would get too hot.
TobyB
Registered Member

Postby aris » Mon Feb 14, 2005 1:01 pm

I don't think the biltongbox would be good for smoke. For one, the biltongbox has lots of holes in it to add in the dehydration process - so i'd think you would have to cover these up somehow. Also, biltong is not traditionally smoked at all - so yet another reason not to use the box for smoking.

I quite like the idea of using an old wine barrel as a smoking chamber as was done on the River Cottage tv show in the UK recently. You just need some sort of external box to burn the wood, and then some sort of pipe from the 'hot box' to the cold smoking box. On the show they used chimney flue, which sounds ideal as it is designed to handle high heats, and is probably pretty cheap from a builders merchant.
aris
Site Admin

Postby Deer Man » Mon Feb 14, 2005 7:05 pm

"I don't think you could cold smoke with it unless your smoke source came from an external fire as if the heat source was in the lower barrel the top section would get too hot."

Temprature is controlled by the damping valves. With the air intake on the door and the valves closed minimum air gets to the fire, If all valves are open more than enough heat 300C+ can be created. This allows the unit to be used for hot and cold smoking.
Safe Shooting, Good Hunting, Eat Well!
Deer Man
Registered Member

Previous

Return to Curing Techniques