Ham Central gets Central Air

Air dried cured Meat Techniques

Ham Central gets Central Air

Postby DangerDan » Sun Apr 11, 2010 8:41 pm

With the weather mild as it is this won't be necessary for a while but about a week ago I experienced a slight warming trend and watched my chamber temps rise to 75*F. While this is a good temp for aging hams and storing salamis 85* and higher can turn a long term project south in no time at all. Soon summer will be upon us ans my garage can get extremely warm, in exess of 100*F.

I've seen recipes that say country hams store nice to about 90* but these, well, they're a bit different. I've made a few hams cured with nitrates as decribed in past posts and they are being aged in with these, but there are a few select hams in this run that will be getting a little extra TLC and a more specific temp. and humidity treatment. So...we did this:

For the moment it's running on its own just for kicks but in a few weeks it will be running off of ther freezer units variable temp thermostat. (A bonus in regard to the equipments that came with the unit)

Later I'll also be running a humidistat to control humidity as the AC will quickly dry out the air and in turn the hams.

The three along the left wall are the older three. One Misouri Style (cept. smoked) ole No. 5 and then the maple ham up front.

The hams to the right in the bags are the alkyhams. The the Jamon to the rear. to the side of the is a hopeful parma. I'll be mixing a paste larding these next week.
DangerDan
Registered Member

Return to Curing Techniques