curing a gammon ham

Air dried cured Meat Techniques

curing a gammon ham

Postby tongs » Wed Jun 01, 2005 11:04 pm

Anyone help with curing gammon ham in particular yorkshire ham on the bone? We have done loin of pork and also shoulder which are really good, but can't seem to get the yorkshire ham correct. Any info. would be appreciated.
tongs
Registered Member

Postby Spuddy » Thu Jun 02, 2005 6:35 am

How did you do it and what was wrong with it?
Spuddy
Site Admin

spuddy

Postby tongs » Thu Jun 02, 2005 5:54 pm

We used a dry cure and that seems to be ok what we wanted to know is how does one cook the ham after it has been cured, also do you use a dry cure or brine for gammon. Thanks
tongs
Registered Member

Postby sausagemaker » Thu Jun 02, 2005 6:23 pm

Hi Tongs

A Yorkshire ham is made with the dry cure as you have done, you can make ham with wet cures if you wish, look for a Wiltshire recipe for more details.
As for the cooking, this is really up to you.
You can slice & Fry or grill, Bake or boil.
If it is the latter I have a method here that I have used & found to be very good from the Farmhouse Fare Book ISBN 0600335097
" Place ham in a pan & cover with water, slowly bring it to the boil & boil for 20 minutes if ham is 15 lb or under for 20 lbs 1 hour is sufficient.
Take away from the heat & cover the pan with old coats or blankets to keep the heat in. leave until the next morning & then lift out the ham.
You will have a well cooked but not over cooked ham with the minimum amount of fuel"

Hope this helps
Regards
Sausagemaker
Last edited by sausagemaker on Fri Jun 03, 2005 4:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Advice
Often sought, seldom taken
sausagemaker
Registered Member

sausage maker

Postby tongs » Fri Jun 03, 2005 3:28 am

Thanks for the info. on yorkshire ham, we will try this method next time. I actually don't do the curing etc. my husband does, however he does not like messing around with the computer so has me do that for him. I am really enjoying reading all the info. and chatter on this site so don't mind one little bit. Thanks once again
tongs
Registered Member

Return to Curing Techniques