Pastrami

Air dried cured Meat Techniques

Pastrami

Postby Vindii » Fri Mar 09, 2012 6:30 pm

Last year around this time I first found this forum while learning how to cure corned beef/pastrami. I've learned a bunch since then so now you guys are stuck with me. :roll:

I want to make another one. Knowing what I have learned I think there might be different ways to do this. I followed a version of Ruhlmans and Polcyn wet cured recipe that someone posted on my keg forum. Here's my post from last time.

http://forum.sausagemaking.org/viewtopi ... orned+beef

Is it better/different to dry cure it instead of wet cure? If I wet cure it again like last time can I adjust the salt so I don't have to soak it (to remove some salt) before smoking?
Vindii
Registered Member

Postby SausageBoy » Sat Mar 10, 2012 3:13 pm

FWIW, I do a combination cure, inject half the calculated cure mix and dry coat the rest.
SausageBoy
Registered Member

Re: Pastrami

Postby wheels » Sat Mar 10, 2012 4:30 pm

Vindii wrote:Is it better/different to dry cure it instead of wet cure? If I wet cure it again like last time can I adjust the salt so I don't have to soak it (to remove some salt) before smoking?

IMO one's not better than the other, just slightly different! Although, I'm getting to favour dry cured and brine cured over injection nowadays.

Phil
wheels
Global Moderator

Re: Pastrami

Postby Vindii » Sat Mar 10, 2012 4:42 pm

wheels wrote:
Vindii wrote:Is it better/different to dry cure it instead of wet cure? If I wet cure it again like last time can I adjust the salt so I don't have to soak it (to remove some salt) before smoking?

IMO one's not better than the other, just slightly different! Although, I'm getting to favour dry cured and brine cured over injection nowadays.

Phil

What are some of the differences in the process or the final product? Does one take longer? Taste any different?
Vindii
Registered Member

Postby wheels » Sat Mar 10, 2012 5:57 pm

What are some of the differences in the process or the final product?

The difference in process is fairly self-ex planetary. Ones cured by rubbing a dry mix on the meat, another by submersing it in a brine, the other by injecting the meat with a needle. As to the final product, some would say that the dry cure gives a dryer meat. However, properly dried brine-cured meat can be equally dry.

Does one take longer?

In terms of time, injection's quickest, dry cure and brines tend to take longer. With the curing methods I use, brine cures take longest - but this may not be the case for everyone's cures.

Taste any different?

Whether it's just 'in my mind' I don't know, but to me the longer cures have more depth of flavour.

Phil
wheels
Global Moderator

Postby Vindii » Sun Mar 11, 2012 4:57 am

I think I'll stick with the brine cure. Can I use less salt so I don't have to soak it later or does it need that much to do its job? Any good links here to a better/different cure than the one I used?

How much fat should I trim off the brisket? Should I leave some on? Cut it in half or separate the point and flat or leave whole?
Vindii
Registered Member

Postby wheels » Sun Mar 11, 2012 7:03 pm

It's not a particularly strong brine at 9.4% concentration, about 35°, so I'd leave well alone.

Phil
wheels
Global Moderator

Postby gsevelle » Thu Sep 27, 2012 3:33 pm

I like to do a combination of injection and soak. I find that the injection gives a nice consistant pink color to the meat and the soak a good deep flavor.

The real taste comes from the combination of corriander and pepper used on the brisket and the smoke. I use apple wood for mine and everyone loves it. :P
gsevelle
Registered Member

Return to Curing Techniques