humidity controller ?

Air dried cured Meat Techniques

Postby fandtm666 » Wed Oct 03, 2012 7:59 am

herjac wrote:I bought this one which seems to work well.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/ws/eBayISAPI.dl ... TQ:US:1123

Herb

I have this one installed in my setup and works well

top = room temp / relay
middle = humidity sensor / relay
bottom = heater probe temp.

fandtm666
Registered Member

Postby gsevelle » Wed Oct 10, 2012 6:09 pm

gsevelle wrote:
gsevelle wrote:

Herb

Does this unit accept the standard 110V two prong plug to control the humidifier or do you need to hard wire the powercord into the unit?

OK this seems to be a better product than what I ordered so I've now ordered it. I'll figure out how to wire it once I get it. May attached a 110 female plug to the end using a flat doner extension cord that way I can run the cord through the door seal on the frig.

I'll let you know how it works out and post some pictures.

Ok, so not quite sure why we did not find this link but they indicate that the prices at the on-line store are better than e-bay. I just bought the humidity controller and just finished wiring it up (easy) and setting it up ( a bit more complicated) Seems to be highly accurate. If you are looking for humidity and or temp controllers you should check them out.

http://thermomart.com/index.php?route=common/home
gsevelle
Registered Member

Postby ComradeQ » Sun Jan 06, 2013 1:17 am

gsevelle wrote:
gsevelle wrote:

Herb

Does this unit accept the standard 110V two prong plug to control the humidifier or do you need to hard wire the powercord into the unit?

OK this seems to be a better product than what I ordered so I've now ordered it. I'll figure out how to wire it once I get it. May attached a 110 female plug to the end using a flat doner extension cord that way I can run the cord through the door seal on the frig.

I'll let you know how it works out and post some pictures.

Dumb question as I am new to this, but does this humidity controller run both a humidifier and a dehumidifier/fan?
ComradeQ
Registered Member

Postby JerBear » Sun Jan 06, 2013 3:32 am

Depends on the controller. The majority of units can be set for either humidifying or dehumidifying, however, some units can do dual controls.
JerBear
Registered Member

Postby Kaiser Soze » Sun Jan 06, 2013 7:35 am

You'll probably need to ask the ebayer.

Mostly these have a single relay, able to be wired for on/off with both a humidifier (on) and dehumidifier (off), however the wording in the ad seems to state that you can connect either a humidifier or dehumidifier. I'd as k the question to be sure. They don't provide the wiring diagram on the ebay ad, so I can't tell.
Kaiser Soze
Registered Member

Postby Kaiser Soze » Sun Jan 06, 2013 7:50 am

Just found the wiring diagram and manual here:

http://www.thermomart.com/download/DWH8040.pdf

It seems that you can set either a dehumid or humid mode as follows:

Dehumidification mode: When the measured humidity value is ≥ set value + difference value, relay output is on and when humidity value
is ≤ set value + difference value, relay output is off and disconnected.

Humidification mode: When the measured humidity value is ≤ set value + difference value, relay output is on and when humidity value is ≥
set value + difference value, relay output is off and disconnected.

Bother these modes indicate when the relay is off, it's disconnected.

So I'd say you can only run one or the other.

Still might be wise to ask for clarification.
Kaiser Soze
Registered Member

Postby wheels » Sun Jan 06, 2013 6:28 pm

If you wanted an immediate changeover between humidify/dehumidify, you could use a changeover relay which may save money. I use one for each function as I want a gap between.

I'd be tempted to set things up with the thermostat, and see what happens when you put some products to dry in there, before spending money on hygrostats.

HTH

Phil
wheels
Global Moderator

Postby crustyo44 » Sun Jan 06, 2013 8:33 pm

Fandtm666,
If you don't mind, I would like to pick your brains for some advise. I noticed your coolroom with airconditioner.
I will be building a smallish coolroom/curing chamber 6x7x7 ft with the smallest window airconditioner as cooling.
Being in the Sub tropics here, the airco might switch on more frequently and case harden all my salamis, coppa's etc.
A forum member suggested to have a seperate section all curtained off by some heavy industrial plastic see through sheeting to stop this.
Makes lots od sense to a novice like me.
I also prefer all seperate controllers.
Any thoughts on the above info.
Thank you,
Jan.
crustyo44
Registered Member

Postby ericrice » Mon Jan 07, 2013 5:12 pm

I know a few of us have used the heavy plastic tarps to keep humidity up but not sure how much something non-insulated would do to retain cool air in an otherwise warm space.
Occupation?? Part time Butcher, Chef, Microbiologist, Scientist and Meteorologist – does what pays the bills really matter?

Eric
ericrice
Registered Member

Postby crustyo44 » Mon Jan 07, 2013 7:42 pm

Eric,
The curtaining-off set up will be in the coolroom itself. The temperature in the coolroom will be set for drying meat/salamis etc with the humidity the same.
Where the curtain comes in is to stop the breeze from the Airco blowing on them to stop case hardening.
No doubt I will have to experiment and probably have a humidty meter inside the curtained of area.
Cheers,
Jan.
crustyo44
Registered Member

Postby fandtm666 » Mon Jan 07, 2013 9:06 pm

crustyo44 wrote:Fandtm666,
If you don't mind, I would like to pick your brains for some advise. I noticed your coolroom with airconditioner.
I will be building a smallish coolroom/curing chamber 6x7x7 ft with the smallest window airconditioner as cooling.
Being in the Sub tropics here, the airco might switch on more frequently and case harden all my salamis, coppa's etc.
A forum member suggested to have a seperate section all curtained off by some heavy industrial plastic see through sheeting to stop this.
Makes lots od sense to a novice like me.
I also prefer all seperate controllers.
Any thoughts on the above info.
Thank you,
Jan.

Sorry it has taken a while for me to reply have been flat out with work and family issues.

To limit the chance of case hardening i have put a flap in front of the aircon so that the air is blown onto the roof area and then drops down to the floor so it is constantly circulating and as such it is not blowing directly on the salami etc.

As for the humidity i also have a large tub of water sitting in the middle of the coolroom which i change out every other day and thus far it has worked well keeping the humidity level at around the 80%.

I also noticed you are in Brisbane so the conditions where i am are pretty similar as i am in tweed heads
fandtm666
Registered Member

Postby Kaiser Soze » Mon Jan 07, 2013 11:02 pm

Do you change out the water to stop it becoming manky? I would assume a big tub of salt water would be fine to sit there for weeks without growing anything?
Kaiser Soze
Registered Member

Postby fandtm666 » Mon Jan 07, 2013 11:22 pm

Kaiser Soze wrote:Do you change out the water to stop it becoming manky? I would assume a big tub of salt water would be fine to sit there for weeks without growing anything?

Probably because im a little over cautious and it only takes a couple minutes to do so
fandtm666
Registered Member

Postby crustyo44 » Tue Jan 08, 2013 7:56 pm

Fandtm666,
We will have to get together one day and discuss a few things over a couple of cold beers.
You seem to have the coolroom/curing chamber problems worked out very well.
Cheers Mate,
Jan.
crustyo44
Registered Member

Previous

Return to Curing Techniques