99 year old Frankfurt recipe

The recipes featured in this recipe archive are selected from a variety of sources including old butcher's manuals, manuscripts and cookbooks, family recipe collections, newspapers, magazines, government agencies, universities, cultural organizations, culinary historians, and other sources. We may not have used them in our own kitchens and cannot vouch for their results in yours. Sausagemaking.org does not endorse their use. If you have any questions regarding the ingredients, instructions or safety of these recipes, or wish to discuss them, please use the Sausage Recipes, Sausage Making Techniques, or another of our forums, as appropriate. The recipes in this archive are provided for historical purposes only. If you plan to use one of these recipes, you need to examine it very carefully for unsafe ingredients and practices. Use them at your own risk.

99 year old Frankfurt recipe

Postby Damo the butcherman » Sat Nov 05, 2011 9:48 pm

As promised, this is the recipe that I used yesterday, from the "Australasian Butchers Handbook 1912" I found it to be quite tasty with simple flavours.
Orginal recipe,
25lbs (11.34kg) Pork trim
3/4ozs (21.3g) Ground White Pepper
14ozs (397g) Salt
1/2ozs (14.2g) Nutmeg
1 quart (946ml) Water
My Conversion
Per 1kg Pork trim
1.9g Ground white pepper
35g of Salt (I did reduse this down to 18g per kg when I made them)
1.3g Nutmeg
83mls water
For safety I also used 1.2g per kg Kwikcure, this is an Australian cure use whatever you have at recomended rate.
Instruction
Mince the meat using a fine plate.
Mix all ingreadents together.
Fill into 32-35mm hog casing.
Allow skin to dry.
Smoke till golden brown in colour.
Cook to an internal temp of 66C.
Damo the butcherman
Registered Member

Postby Hoser » Mon Nov 07, 2011 11:35 am

Sounds like a great recipe...I did some old world style brats this week with a very similar spice mix.
Hoser
Newly Registered

Postby AndyA » Mon Dec 05, 2011 9:13 pm

"99 year old Frankfurt". I really doubt I could wait that long before eating them :D
AndyA
Registered Member

Postby Damo the butcherman » Wed Dec 07, 2011 7:42 am

AndyA wrote:"99 year old Frankfurt". I really doubt I could wait that long before eating them :D

They certainly didn't last that long once we started eating them more like 99 seconds each :lol:
Damo
Aussie! Aussie! Aussie! Oi Oi Oi
Damo the butcherman
Registered Member

Postby Wal Footrot » Fri Dec 09, 2011 9:44 pm

What a pity your shop's in Adelaide and not here in QLD as I'd love to taste what you make. Maybe the next time I'm in SA I can drop in.
Wal Footrot
Wal Footrot
Registered Member

Postby Damo the butcherman » Sat Dec 10, 2011 9:10 am

Nice to hear from you Wal,
Where I work now we don't make our own sausages and smallgoods, thats why I started making them at home. I enjoy doing it and wanted to keep my skills up.
It's sad to say :cry: but a lot of shops here in Adelaide don't make there own, the government regulations are that tight that it is very hard to make anything without a great deal of paperwork and government supervision.
Unfortunatly the few rogue operators have ruined it for everyone else :twisted:
Damo
Aussie! Aussie! Aussie! Oi Oi Oi
Damo the butcherman
Registered Member

Postby Wal Footrot » Mon Dec 12, 2011 9:27 am

Damo the butcherman wrote:Nice to hear from you Wal,
Where I work now we don't make our own sausages and smallgoods, thats why I started making them at home. I enjoy doing it and wanted to keep my skills up.
It's sad to say :cry: but a lot of shops here in Adelaide don't make there own, the government regulations are that tight that it is very hard to make anything without a great deal of paperwork and government supervision.
Unfortunatly the few rogue operators have ruined it for everyone else :twisted:
Damo

Yeah, it is sad that regs get in the way of making good food.

The smallgoods capital of Australia seems to be Tassie where every butcher makes their own snags/savs/german/smoked according to their own recipe and a lot of it is just superb. I'm suspecting that the Tas regulations are a bit more liberal
Wal Footrot
Wal Footrot
Registered Member

Postby crustyo44 » Tue Dec 13, 2011 12:13 am

Hi,
Contrary to popular believe, Tasmania is a great State where almost the majority of policians have common sense.
So unheard of in other States of Australia and that is from a Queenslander like me.
Jan.
Brisbane.
crustyo44
Registered Member

Return to Historical Sausage Recipes Archive (Moderated)