Happy New Year and New Projects

Introductions and chatter

Happy New Year and New Projects

Postby NCPaul » Wed Jan 01, 2020 11:54 am

Here's wishing everyone a happy and healthy 2020! :D I've started planning an Italian and a Korean snack sticks, a new chicken sausage and a British sausage that I tasted last fall. What's everyone else planning?
Fashionably late will be stylishly hungry.
NCPaul
Site Admin

Re: Happy New Year and New Projects

Postby Swing Swang » Fri Jan 03, 2020 8:11 am

Due to ill health shortly after moving into a 400 year house on a smallholding with a holiday business things have stalled on the sausage making front - I have an amazing wife who has kept things together, and as a consequence we've kept the momentum going.

On the sausage front the big project is the polytunnel - still a frame at the moment as I am wheelbarrowing 15 tonnes of compost into it, although the cover should go on next week. I'm setting it up as a 'no-dig' system, which I hope will allow me to keep gardening for a few years longer than would otherwise be possible in the probable event of frailty.

The idea has always been to grow a lot of capsicum/sweet bell peppers to turn them in to massa de pimentao, an essential ingredient in Alenjejo-style Portuguese chourico and which makes up about 5% of the total mix. Anything that I over produce can be sold into the Portuguese community.

If the land dries out and I can get the fencing contractors in before the spring I'd like some weaners in this year too, but they may have to wait until next year. The idea was to be able have a salami from my own pigs, own capsicum paste, own garlic, own sea salt within 5years of arriving which takes us to July 2022.

Where there is no vision, the people perish - Proverbs 29:18

Happy New Year to you all

Philip
Swing Swang
Registered Member

Postby NCPaul » Fri Jan 01, 2021 12:25 pm

Happy New Year! :D

I'm planning on making hams and some kielbasa for 2021. I'd also like to do a Snackstick with peri-peri sauce.
NCPaul
Site Admin

Postby wheels » Fri Jan 01, 2021 6:45 pm

Happy New Year. I've got a list as long as my arm of things to try; many of them are NCPaul's fault for posting so many fantastic looking products! I used a couple of new recipes at Christmas - one for the sausages for pigs in blankets and another for the sausage rolls and cocktail sausages. One was my own recipe and the other an adaption of one posted by Weschenfelders, a butchers supply company.

Phil
wheels
Global Moderator

Postby NCPaul » Sat Jan 01, 2022 11:48 am

Happy New Year! I hope all are happy and well (I counted down the new year at 10 PM).

I was really pleased with the small rolled hams I got from butchering a whole leg and will explore doing that again this year. I'm also thinking about a chicken sausage using the spices used on fried chicken. :D
NCPaul
Site Admin

Postby NCPaul » Sun Jan 01, 2023 11:59 am

Happy New Year! :) I got a smoking gun so I can do some small scale experiments with smoking. I'd like to explore using spices and herbs to see if I can get new flavors in cold smoking. I'm also going to nail down a Sichuan style snackstick.
NCPaul
Site Admin

Postby Swing Swang » Sun Jan 01, 2023 9:45 pm

Happy New Year NCPaul. Hope the experiments go well, please share the highs and lows, the hits and misses. Apparently guava bark/wood is used for smoking by some communities - would love to know what sort of flavour that imparts. Not the sort of thing you come across in the UK. Tea leaves are ready to use, and I've used rooibos to impart some interesting flavours. Otherwise I'm pretty boring - oak and apple - so looking forward to your insights.
Swing Swang
Registered Member

Postby spudie » Sat Feb 04, 2023 1:08 am

Hi everyone, Happy New Year and wishing you all a prosporious 2023.

Saus projects for the coming year are the same as 2022.
1, Make atleast 2 Saus recipes per week as testers for family and friends.
I totally agree with Wheels where he mentions "I've got a list as long as my arm of things to try; many of
them are NCPaul's" - NCPaul - has a lot to answer for here as his tutorials are so enticing that I cant resist
2, Improve my ability make Sausa without the help of someone else's recipe - work in progress.
3, Rid myself of the 100's of internet "best ever" recipes I've collected over the years - I'll be 120 yrs
young if I try to make them all. Found Duncan Henry a Sausage Shop/Meat Factory Owner on YouTube -
has an interesting way to teach and explain, love his work.

:D If I achieve anyone of the above I will be the happiest 70 yr in Oz.

rgds Spudie - Perth Oz
spudie
Registered Member

Postby NCPaul » Mon Jan 01, 2024 4:12 pm

Happy New Year! I got the Marianskis' German Sausages book for Christmas so I will be trying out some of the recipes in it this year. :D
NCPaul
Site Admin

Return to Chatter