Happy New Year from Toronto ... And a Pork Pie Recipe!

Introductions and chatter

Happy New Year from Toronto ... And a Pork Pie Recipe!

Postby ComradeQ » Mon Dec 31, 2012 3:32 am

Hey guys! Just started getting into sausage making, been a member of thesmokering.com/forum for a while, doing a lot of meat curing, and thought Id come over here and get some of your sausage making wisdom. Happy to be a part of the group and look forward to some great cooks and learning from everyone's collective wisdom!
Last edited by ComradeQ on Sat Jan 05, 2013 5:47 am, edited 2 times in total.
ComradeQ
Registered Member

Postby ComradeQ » Mon Dec 31, 2012 6:27 am

P.S. - I have lived most of my life in Canada but I was born in Leicester so I have a close affinity for the great British sausages and meats, really looking forward to trying some of these great recipes! Here is a pic of my Christmas pork pies I made, prior to baking (and with one left open just for the pic):

And simmering the pig trotters for the much needed jelly:

No finished pics of that batch but this was the previous one:

I will try to post and share wherever possible!
ComradeQ
Registered Member

Postby DanMcG » Mon Dec 31, 2012 9:41 am

Welcome to the forum ComradeQ.

Nice looking pies ya got there.
DanMcG
Registered Member

Postby NCPaul » Mon Dec 31, 2012 12:51 pm

Welcome to the forum. :D You've just made a bunch of people suddenly hungry.
Fashionably late will be stylishly hungry.
NCPaul
Site Admin

Postby yotmon » Mon Dec 31, 2012 1:08 pm

Nice pies - Welcome !
"Success is going from failure to failure without a loss of enthusiasm." - Sir Winston Churchill
yotmon
Registered Member

Postby wheels » Mon Dec 31, 2012 9:54 pm

ComradeQ

Welcome from someone who is sat 9 miles to the South of Leicester.

Those look like 'Proper Pies'!

Welcome onboard

Phil :D :D
wheels
Global Moderator

Postby ComradeQ » Mon Dec 31, 2012 10:15 pm

wheels wrote:ComradeQ

Welcome from someone who is sat 9 miles to the South of Leicester.

Those look like 'Proper Pies'!

Welcome onboard

Phil :D :D

Right on, I was born in Thurmaston, family still lives there and in Syston and Hinckley. My cousin makes Melton Mowbray pork pies for a living so he might think these are blasphemous since I did use some smoked bacon for flavour (upside is I cured and smoked it myself so none of that commercial garbage, lol) And didn't free form the pastry. I have these little spring form pans that I find easier, I know, took the lazy route, lol!

Thanks for the warm greeting folks!
ComradeQ
Registered Member

Postby wheels » Mon Dec 31, 2012 10:32 pm

Oops, I can see why you had to emigrate!

I'm at Thurlaston - near Hinckley...

...but don't worry, most of our post ends up at Thurmaston!

Phil
wheels
Global Moderator

Postby crustyo44 » Tue Jan 01, 2013 2:50 am

More expenses for some small springform cake tins coming up.
Would you mind sharing your recipe and procedure as well.
Thank you.
Jan.
crustyo44
Registered Member

Postby ComradeQ » Tue Jan 01, 2013 4:41 pm

crustyo44 wrote:More expenses for some small springform cake tins coming up.
Would you mind sharing your recipe and procedure as well.
Thank you.
Jan.

Yes, I would be happy to! I'm out and about today so I will get round to it later when I have a few minutes. Happy 2013 everyone!
ComradeQ
Registered Member

Postby crustyo44 » Wed Jan 02, 2013 7:09 pm

ComradeQ,
My wife just spotted your post and pictures, now I am under orders to make them.
Your recipe and procedure would be appreciated when ever you have some spare time as well as your pie crust recipe.
I like to get my wife involved as she hates my sausage making hobby, even refuses to wind the stuffer handle, hates the smell of raw meat, salted sausage skins etc etc.
What she does like is the smoked bacon I make and believe me it's good.
Thanks to Phils recipes and cure calculator.
We are going shopping today for mini springform tins. Hooray!!!!!!!!!!
Regards,
Jan.
crustyo44
Registered Member

Postby ComradeQ » Sat Jan 05, 2013 5:42 am

Hey crusty044, sorry for the delay, been a crazy few days. I have included the recipe as I have copied it into my index. I can't take credit for it but I copied it a while back and can't remember where I found it. If the original poster sees this, sorry, all credit to you!

PORK PIE

INGREDIENTS

Hot Water Pastry:
2 Eggs
100 g Butter
100 g Lard
200 ml Water
550 g Plain Flour
1.5 tsp Salt

1. Gently melt butter and lard together in a pan, with the water.
2. While the fats are melting, mix plain flour and salt together in a large bowl, then break the eggs into the bowl.
3. Using a knife to start with, cut the eggs into the flour a little and slowly pour in the fat and water, mixing all the time.
4. The dough will come together. You may need to add more flour or water. Briefly knead the dough, then wrap it in clingfilm and let it rest in the fridge for an hour or so.

Filling:
1 kg Pork Shoulder (Cut in small half cm square cubes)
250 g Bacon (Finely chopped)
250 g Pork Belly (Minced)
12 Sage Leaves (Finely chopped)
2 Sprigs of Thyme
1 tsp Salt
1 tsp Freshly Ground Pepper
1 tsp Ground White Pepper
½ tsp Ground Mace
Heavy Pinch Cayenne

1. Mix meat and seasonings together well.
2. Next, cut off about a third of the pastry and put it to one side for the lid, then roll out the rest into a 30cm round. If choosing to do 4-5 smaller pies, divide the pastry accordingly for the number you are doing.
3. Slide the pastry into a 9” cake tin with a loose base and press it down so that the pastry reaches about three quarters of the way up the side of the tin. Or, for smaller pies, if using 4” springform tins, this will make 4-5 pies. You may need to make more pastry as needed. Using a spring form tin with a clip on the side will make the ‘getting the pie out’ operation much simpler.
4. Fill the pastry case with the meat, and push a single bay leaf into the very centre of the pie, or if doing 4-5 smaller ones, use smaller pieces of a bay leaf in each one.
5. Roll out a suitably sized pastry lid and crimp it into place, using a little beaten egg to glue the joint together. Cut a small hole in the top of the pastry.
6. Bake at 350f/180c for thirty minutes, then reduce the heat to 320f/160c and continue to cook for a further hour and a quarter. If making smaller pies, reduce from an hour and a quarter to an hour.
7. After this time, take the pie out of it’s tin and brush the top and sides with beaten egg, returning it to the oven for another quarter of an hour to brown.
8. When the pie has finally finished cooking, let it stand for half an hour or so to cool, then heat up 600ml/1 pint of pork stock that will set to a jelly in a pan. Making pork stock with a couple of trotters will guarantee that the stock will set, but if you’re unsure, add some gelatin as well.
9. Using a turkey baster, squirt the hot stock into the hole at the top of the pie. The meat will have shrunk during cooking, and there’ll be a gap between it and the crust, which you want to fill with jelly. This could take some time – let the stock sink into the pie before adding more – but try to get as much stock in as possible.
10. Leave the pie to cool completely, then refrigerate overnight to allow the jelly to set.
11. Enjoy with cheese and pickles, and some good chutney!

PORK PIE JELLY/ASPIC

INGREDIENTS

Jelly:
Optional: 2lb Pork Bones
2 Pigs Trotters, Split in Half
1 Large Carrot or 2 Smaller Ones
1 Onion Peeled and Cut in Half
2 Stalks Celery
2 Bay Leaves
3-4 Sprigs Fresh thyme
2-3 Stems Fresh Parsley, Leaves and All
12 Black Peppercorns
4 Cloves
Water

1. For the jelly, put all of the jelly ingredients into a large pan, cover with water and bring to the boil. Cover and simmer gently for three hours.
2. Strain through a very fine sieve layered with cheesecloth into a clean pan and boil vigorously until reduced to 600ml/1 pint. Season to taste and leave to cool.
3. The liquid should set into a firm jelly. If it doesn’t happen, heat up the liquid again and add a little gelatin (I’ve never found this to be a problem)
4. Use to fill cooled pork pies, making sure to get as much jelly as possible into the pastry hole.
ComradeQ
Registered Member

Postby Banjoe » Sat Jan 05, 2013 3:06 pm

Armed with this pork pie recipe, it will indeed be an excellent 2013.

Many thanks for the information and mouth-watering photos ComradeQ.
Banjoe
Registered Member

Postby ComradeQ » Sat Jan 05, 2013 4:26 pm

Banjoe wrote:Armed with this pork pie recipe, it will indeed be an excellent 2013.

Many thanks for the information and mouth-watering photos ComradeQ.

You're very welcome! It does take a bit of work, especially dicing the pork into small cubes, but it is very worth it. The texture of the pie with the small cubes is much better than if you were to mince it. I have a couple English expats on my street who took some orders from me this year since all the store bought pork pies here are garbage.

I suppose you could always make some chicken stock and add gelatin to it for the jelly but I personally believe it needs to be done from scratch, the end result is far better. All good things in life take a little time and effort.
ComradeQ
Registered Member

Postby crustyo44 » Sat Jan 05, 2013 11:49 pm

I fully agree you. Home made is best.
The store bought pork pies here in Australia are only good for throwing at dogs.
I doubt if they would even eat them.
That is unless you finf an old Pom.
Thank you for the recipe.
Cheers,
Jan.
crustyo44
Registered Member

Next

Return to Chatter