Bacon slicer UK

Introductions and chatter

Bacon slicer UK

Postby ped » Sat Jan 05, 2013 9:43 pm

Could anyone recommend a bacon slicer (in the UK) that doesn't break the bank?, I can't afford a full blown butchers bacon slicer and am currently making do with a Kenwoood food/bread cutter that I have, is there something out there that can cope with bacon layed flat as opposed to having to roll it as I have to do at the moment, it would also be great if it could cut dry cured hams waffer thin (1/16th inch)?

Ped
ped
Registered Member

Re: Bacon slicer UK

Postby ComradeQ » Sat Jan 05, 2013 10:13 pm

ped wrote:Could anyone recommend a bacon slicer (in the UK) that doesn't break the bank?, I can't afford a full blown butchers bacon slicer and am currently making do with a Kenwoood food/bread cutter that I have, is there something out there that can cope with bacon layed flat as opposed to having to roll it as I have to do at the moment, it would also be great if it could cut dry cured hams waffer thin (1/16th inch)?

Ped

I'm in Canada and have been searching for one for a while as well. I purchased two meat slicers, one really cheap one that didn't work for anything, and another slightly more expensive Cuisinart one that works for certain meats, but can't handle the cold smoked bacon as it seems to be too squishy. I have tried semi freezing it, this helps a little, but still haven't found anything reasonably priced that can handle bacon. Be interested to see what suggestions you get.
ComradeQ
Registered Member

Postby wheels » Sun Jan 06, 2013 1:00 am

ped

The domestic ones are better for cooked meats - in my experience, they don't do bacon well!

I've bought all of mine from Ebay, but it's caveat emptor - buyer beware.

The smaller domestic machines will cut meat, if it's cut to the right length and nearly frozen, but in my experience it was a real pain.

It's probably the best time to 'buy well' and 'buy once', so my advice would be to buy a decent commercial one. The most expensive I've bought was only £150 - it's a Berkel with full 'CE' marking etc so could be used commercially and was bought on Ebay..

My advice would be not to rush. Things sell on Ebay in 'phases'. One minute they're selling like hot cakes for 'top dollar' and the next week people can't sell them 'for love nor money'. Set Ebay so that it advises you when second-hand Berkel, Hobart, Bizerbera and other quality slicers come online and you'll eventually get a good one. Set your maximum and never go above it; maybe be prepared to travel to collect but remember that this will add to the cost. Eventually, you'll get a bargain.

That's my 'two-pennyworth' anyway.

Phil

added:

I'll be interested to see how much this makes:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/130829161003

P
wheels
Global Moderator

Postby ped » Sun Jan 06, 2013 10:15 am

Thanks Phil

I sometimes look at ebay and invariably the seller is up north and it is collection only ! but will take your advice and keep a look out, but being an ebay novice is there a way that they tell you what is being offered?

Ped
ped
Registered Member

Postby sundodger » Sun Jan 06, 2013 10:15 am

Hi - I had the same problem. We live in Greece & nothing available on the local scene. In the end I searched around & the "Andrew James" one (UK) seemed to fit the bill, also lots of good reviews on Amazon. I ordered one - Knocked down from a retail of 100 pounds plus to 40 quid plus delivery which for me was another 40. Not really happy! Smallish size means I like yourself have to roll the bacon. It comes with 3 blades - Gen. purpose, bread & meat. It's ok for now, but like the man said - Buy good, buy once.
Also don't believe all they say in Amazon reviews !
Nostalgia is not what it used to be !
sundodger
Registered Member

Postby SteveW » Sun Jan 06, 2013 12:36 pm

Hi Ped,
As Phil says keep looking at ebay and eventually you'll get a bargain. It took me 2 years before I got one at a decent price. It was a commercial Buffalo slicer from a local deli that was upgrading. The switch is broken so you have to turn it on at the plug but it only cost me £50 and slices up bacon perfectly.
keep on looking.

Steve
SteveW
Registered Member

Postby ped » Sun Jan 06, 2013 2:58 pm

I was also thinking of going to the local supermarkets and asking them if they change their deli meat slicers on a regular basis
ped
Registered Member

Postby ComradeQ » Sun Jan 06, 2013 6:06 pm

I was just at my meat supplier on Thursday and they had one of those massive commercial slicers going for $200. This was probably a thousands $ plus machine. I considered it but to be honest, it was too big, mounted on a big stand, wouldn't have any space for it. Too bad because it was probably a great slicer.
ComradeQ
Registered Member

Postby wheels » Sun Jan 06, 2013 6:54 pm

ped wrote:...is there a way that they tell you what is being offered?

You can save a search into MyEbay:

It will than appear in the Saved Searches section of MyEbay (your account dashboard). Look for the heading in the list on the LH side.

You can then adjust the settings for this search so that it sends an email when new items are added.

HTH

Phil
wheels
Global Moderator

Postby Dogfish » Sun Jan 06, 2013 7:22 pm

Check bankruptcies and commercial property landlords. Bakeries, delis, etc are always going out of business and taking off out of town in the middle of the night. Maybe there's an angry landlord that you could work a deal out with.
Chip the glasses and crack the plates!
Dogfish
Registered Member

Postby saucisson » Sun Jan 06, 2013 7:38 pm

I've got the one in Phil's Ebay picture, bought from Nisbet's with a Buffalo badge on it. It's much better than a domestic Kenwood/Argos jobbie, but still not a patch on the real thing, but it's a good compromise on size and budget.

I use a set square attached to two massive neodymium magnets to brace the back plate and keep it rigid to get a reasonably decent cut.
Curing is not an exact science... So it's not a sin to bin.

Great hams, from little acorns grow...
saucisson
Site Admin

Postby saucisson » Sun Jan 06, 2013 8:23 pm

wheels wrote:
I'll be interested to see how much this makes:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/130829161003

P

If, and only if, ped doesn't want to bid on it I may have a punt at that one myself :)

Ped? are you likely to bid on it?

saucisson
Site Admin

Postby sundodger » Sun Jan 06, 2013 8:38 pm

The one I got IS the one in Phils pic - The Andrew James thing & I don't reckon much of it at all. Cor the ebay one shown is a real bit of kit though & if I were in the UK I would jump at it, even if it meant a hefty courier bill !
sundodger
Registered Member

Postby saucisson » Sun Jan 06, 2013 8:50 pm

Agreed, that's why I "modified" The Thing to get it to work satisfactorily/at all :)

saucisson
Site Admin

Postby sundodger » Sun Jan 06, 2013 9:05 pm

Must say I like the idea of the set square & magnets to firm up the back plate. Just please don't tell me that after you slice the bacon, the magnets cause a polarizing effect that will cause the plate to spin around & face mecca? :D :D
sundodger
Registered Member

Next

Return to Chatter