Toronto Area Members

Introductions and chatter

Toronto Area Members

Postby ComradeQ » Mon Feb 11, 2013 2:05 am

Just a random thought as I wait to watch The Walking Dead, what would my fellow GTA forum members think to organizing a local get together for drinks and charcuterie talk? I think it would be fun to meet other people who are into this hobby and have a few pints. Maybe see what the interest is and go from there?

So, if anyone in the GTA (or southern Ontario in general) wants to join us in forming a local chapter of the Sausage Making forum please reply in this post and after a week or so I will contact all that have replied in PM and we can arrange something. I always look forward to meeting new friends and I think this would be a great way to get to know each other, offer support and tips, maybe organize tasting nights etc ... Any suggestions are welcome too! Look forward to getting some interest and replies!
ComradeQ
Registered Member

Re: Toronto Area Members

Postby Dogfish » Mon Feb 11, 2013 4:25 pm

I haven't seen a ton of Canadians on this forum and when I do see them, they're thousands of kms apart. I think BriCan and I are the closest: sixty km and three hours of ferry nonsense.
Chip the glasses and crack the plates!
Dogfish
Registered Member

Postby BriCan » Mon Feb 11, 2013 5:14 pm

Dogfish wrote:I haven't seen a ton of Canadians on this forum and when I do see them, they're thousands of kms apart.

There are a few around this area, one notable one in Burnaby, just over the hill (SFU)from me. He came over the shop a couple of times and we talked back and forth via email it turned out that he wanted to pick my brains (theirs not much there :roll: )as he wanted to start up his own place, I found this out cuz he frequents that other :shock: sausage place where I am not allowed :roll:

I think BriCan and I are the closest: sixty km and three hours of ferry nonsense.

:lol: :lol: and look at the fun we are having to meat up, nigh on as bad as trying to meat up with folks back home :wink:
But what do I know
BriCan
Registered Member

Postby ComradeQ » Mon Feb 11, 2013 8:30 pm

I know what you mean, mainly dirty Brits on here! Lol, just kidding before anyone jumps on me, I am an expat Brit too! I have been in touch with one other Toronto member through PM but thus far no more. I'm still holding faith that some folks will come through. I spent some time out in Prince Rupert and also down in White Rock some years back. Maybe I should move out there, the climate is more friendly to my pale, dry British skin! I need rain and a moderate climate!
ComradeQ
Registered Member

Postby BriCan » Mon Feb 11, 2013 9:14 pm

ComradeQ wrote: I have been in touch with one other Toronto member through PM but thus far no more.

Might be out that way this summer :?: my son is going to ryerson university/mcgill university (program via both)

I'm still holding faith that some folks will come through. I spent some time out in Prince Rupert and also down in White Rock some years back. Maybe I should move out there, the climate is more friendly to my pale, dry British skin! I need rain and a moderate climate!

Damp and warm today, you might as well move back this way it seems all the good ones migrate out this eventually

That might have put the cat among the pigeons :|
But what do I know
BriCan
Registered Member

Postby ComradeQ » Tue Feb 12, 2013 3:11 am

BriCan wrote:Might be out that way this summer :?: my son is going to ryerson university/mcgill university (program via both)

That's great for him! I went to Ryerson for a major in Politics and Governance and a minor in Sociology. Good school overall, some really talented and inspiring profs and being right downtown it is a convenient location for accessing everything the city has to offer.

BriCan wrote:Damp and warm today, you might as well move back this way it seems all the good ones migrate out this eventually

Yeah, it seems my two favourite places are the east and the west coasts (although I do love Toronto, gotta be loyal to the home turf!) Maybe one day I will make my way out there, get some of that mountain and ocean air and eat some of that amazing seafood. Prince Rupert was the ultimate for seafood, fresh out of the ocean every day and some of the best quality I have ever had. Scallops the size of my fist! And the salmon ... mmm, now I'm getting hungry!
ComradeQ
Registered Member

Postby Dogfish » Tue Feb 12, 2013 3:23 am

Prince Rupert's sure cheap, at least until they put through more pipelines.
Chip the glasses and crack the plates!
Dogfish
Registered Member

Postby mutts » Mon Mar 04, 2013 4:51 pm

Nice to see someone else from the Toronto area here.
Would be nice to share info on a local basis.
I have found it difficult to source a lot of the products related to sausage making.
I am West of the city in Oakville.
mutts
Registered Member

Postby Big Guy » Mon Mar 04, 2013 6:28 pm

Not really the GTA but in the summer I am on the shore of lake Huron south of Owensound. In the winter I'm in Florida.
Col. Big Guy
Big Guy
Registered Member

Postby ComradeQ » Wed Mar 06, 2013 4:17 am

mutts wrote:Nice to see someone else from the Toronto area here.
Would be nice to share info on a local basis.
I have found it difficult to source a lot of the products related to sausage making.
I am West of the city in Oakville.

I'm actually staying in Mississauga for a bit right now so we're neighbours. You are close to Malabar Super Spice in Burlington, great source for sausage making, open to the public Thursdays and Fridays. I only heard from two other locals, maybe we can arrange drinks sometime for our little group?

big Guy wrote:Not really the GTA but in the summer I am on the shore of lake Huron south of Owensound. In the winter I'm in Florida.[

Wish I was in Florida! Just been working on a big reno with a friend who came down from Owen Sound. Haven't been able to do much until this rejo is done! Arrrgg! Lol!
ComradeQ
Registered Member

Postby mutts » Wed Mar 06, 2013 6:04 pm

This forum is turning out to be dangerous.
After reading Big Guy's comments on using propane vs charcoal, I went out yesterday and bought a gasser.
Ordered the needle valves on line for lower temp running, and precise control of temp.
A large step for a 30 yr charcoal / wood user.
Canada Compound has turned out to be a great source for casings.
I travel to BC quite often, so Stuffers is on my visit list when I am there.
I am not adverse to getting together with like minded sausage fans for a adult beverage.
maybe we can get something going.....
mutts
Registered Member

Postby ComradeQ » Thu Mar 07, 2013 5:41 am

mutts wrote:This forum is turning out to be dangerous.
After reading Big Guy's comments on using propane vs charcoal, I went out yesterday and bought a gasser.
Ordered the needle valves on line for lower temp running, and precise control of temp.
A large step for a 30 yr charcoal / wood user.
Canada Compound has turned out to be a great source for casings.
I travel to BC quite often, so Stuffers is on my visit list when I am there.
I am not adverse to getting together with like minded sausage fans for a adult beverage.
maybe we can get something going.....

Right on, our numbers grow! I will send a group PM shortly to all the locals we have found thus far and hopefully we can arrange something. I'm up to my elbows for the next week at least helping my brother fix his basement and reno his bathroom so I will contact everyone once I'm done here. Got a break from work and just found another crazy project to keep me busy.
ComradeQ
Registered Member

Postby Iamarealbigdog » Fri Aug 02, 2013 4:41 pm

Keep me in the loop on this one...

Cheers
Cheers from The Big Dog
www.lesnoiracochon.com
http://blog.lesnoiracochon.com

Where tasty things happen
Iamarealbigdog
Registered Member