Cheap-Ass Breakfast Sausage

Introductions and chatter

Re: Cheap-Ass Breakfast Sausage

Postby wheels » Wed May 01, 2013 2:02 pm

I owe people an apology. I suggest this, and have not "put my money where my mouth is"! Other things have taken precedent I'm afraid, but I've not forgot it.

I am following it with interest and will contribute when I get the chance.

Phil
wheels
Global Moderator

Postby Dogfish » Wed May 01, 2013 3:13 pm

Boldly forging ahead. Maybe if we can get away with that little meat I'll try a pork breakfast sausage.
Chip the glasses and crack the plates!
Dogfish
Registered Member

Postby Dogfish » Wed May 01, 2013 3:38 pm

Where's the rusk recipe hidden?
Chip the glasses and crack the plates!
Dogfish
Registered Member

Postby wheels » Wed May 01, 2013 3:43 pm

wheels
Global Moderator

Postby yotmon » Mon May 27, 2013 8:10 pm

Had another go this weekend making sausage to a budget. Morrisons had shoulder pork steaks on offer @ £2.50kg which were well trimmed, no waste etc. Tried to 'blag' some free back fat off the butcher there ( was in a different town) and was only offered a miserly 145g :cry:. Seeing as I had none in stock this limited the amount of sausage to make. After reading quite a few books/recipes I decided that I wanted to make a Manchester sausage and use scalded rice as a filler and also attempt to use a rind emulsion to bring the price down. After a couple of PM's to 'Wheels' seeking advice and guidance I slowly boiled up a cup of rice in 3.5 times its volume and produced a starchy mass. I also cooked a small quantity of pork rind in water until really tender and then minced it finely.
The recipe I used was - 580 lean pork (£1.45), 145 pork fat (free). 100g cooked rind(free). 50g rusk (5p), scalded rice 150g (2p), 17.5g salt (1p). 4g white pepper(3p), .5g Mace. .5g Nutmeg. 1g Ginger. .75g Sage .75g cloves. (1p for all). Yard of hog casing (9p).
The total cost = £1.66 per kg or in old money just 75p per lb. The rice wasn't noticeable but kept the sausage moist by retaining so much water. The rind disappeared into the meat and maybe could have taken even more. Meat content was high and could easily have been lowered to produce an even cheaper sausage, but I'm happy to produce something of quality for such a low cost so why go lower ?
Myself and TOH tried them on a piece of bread and were pleasantly surprised, especially when she said that they were one of the best I'd made :oops:
I will be using the scalded rice again as a filler and probably use up any waste rind in limited quantities.
Surpisingly, I was looking in Tesco for a comparison and was a bit shocked when I saw them selling Wall's Microwavable sausages @ £9.09 kg - I know which I would prefer.

yotmon.
"Success is going from failure to failure without a loss of enthusiasm." - Sir Winston Churchill
yotmon
Registered Member

Previous

Return to Chatter