Cheap-Ass Breakfast Sausage

Introductions and chatter

Re: Cheap-Ass Breakfast Sausage

Postby Dogfish » Mon Feb 25, 2013 6:29 pm

Possibly. I'm thinking pinkish, no discernible meat in the bite, usually collagen cased.
Chip the glasses and crack the plates!
Dogfish
Registered Member

Postby DiggingDogFarm » Mon Feb 25, 2013 6:57 pm

Here the cheapest breakfast sausages are usually pre-cooked frozen casingless "brown and serve" type. Links or patties.

~Martin
~Martin
Unsupervised rebellious radical agrarian experimenter, minimalist penny-pincher, self-reliant homesteader and adventurous cook. Crotchety cantankerous terse curmudgeon, non-conformist and contrarian who questions everything!
DiggingDogFarm
Registered Member

Postby vagreys » Mon Feb 25, 2013 7:21 pm

When I was growing up in Memphis, breakfast sausage was bulk pork sausage fried or baked as patties (think Tennessee Pride, Rudy's, Jimmy Dean). Links were unusual, and considered something you got up north. For us, the really cheap bulk sausage was close to 50% fat (belly trim and softer), and cut with cereals and TVP/TSP, to the consistency of canned dog food.

The bulk sausage changed significantly when you crossed the Mississippi into Arkansas, where it tasted like coarsely-ground pork loin - more like ground pork chop than sausage.
- tom

Don't tell me the odds.

You have the power to donate life
vagreys
Site Admin

Postby Dogfish » Mon Feb 25, 2013 7:25 pm

vagreys wrote:. For us, the really cheap bulk sausage was close to 50% fat (belly trim and softer), and cut with cereals and TVP/TSP, to the consistency of canned dog food.

The bulk sausage changed significantly when you crossed the Mississippi into Arkansas, where it tasted like coarsely-ground pork loin - more like ground pork chop than sausage.

That sounds like 90% of Canadian sausage. Almost everybody I know boils theirs before browning to pull out the salt and fat.
Dogfish
Registered Member

Postby NCPaul » Mon Feb 25, 2013 7:53 pm

I once toyed with the idea of grinding up lean meat, rebalancing the seasoning, and using the sausage Tom describes in equal parts to bring the fat content down to 25 %. :D I plan to sit on the sidelines for this project, but I will suggest that cooked rice as a filler should bring the cost down sharply.
Fashionably late will be stylishly hungry.
NCPaul
Site Admin

Postby Dogfish » Mon Feb 25, 2013 8:15 pm

Wouldn't cooked rice ferment really fast?
Dogfish
Registered Member

Postby wheels » Mon Feb 25, 2013 8:24 pm

I just love the concept of being able to say: "Our worst sausage is better(?) than your worst sausage!", or should we invent a new word, maybe 'worserer'? :lol:

Over here we don't have a sausage 'defined' as 'breakfast sausage'. Many different varieties are served for breakfast. The really cheap sausages (those that don't specify a meat in their name) contain as little as 32% meat (if made of pork); of that, 25% of the weight can be connective tissue and 30% fat! That doesn't leave much real meat! Here's the spec for one from ASDA (owned by Walmart):

Water , Pork (32%) , Wheat Flour , Pork Fat , Pork Rind , Salt , Raising Agent (Ammonium Carbonates) , Dextrose , Stabiliser (Diphosphates) , Preservative (Sodium Metabisulphite) , Acidity Regulator (Sodium Citrates) , Antioxidant (Ascorbic Acid) , Spice Extracts [Cayenne Pepper, Mace, Pepper, Coriander, Pimento] , Sage Extract , Beef Collagen Casing

I'll not 'knock them', they fill the bellies of a lot of low income families. There but for the 'Grace of... ...etc.

It's really annoying me that I can't find that post by Saucisson where he made something similar.

As to cooked rice, I used it in a sausage recipe recently. Called 'scalded rice' in most recipes over here that use it, apparently it was a common filler pre-WW1. I used it in a Cambridge Sausage which I was initially indifferent about. However, other people have received it well, and sing it's praises. It's a plain simple sausage, ideal for breakfast... ...I can feel an idea coming on! :lol:

Phil
wheels
Global Moderator

Postby quietwatersfarm » Mon Feb 25, 2013 8:50 pm

We too did an old fashioned sausage for some street Parties and called them 'Jubilee' sausages (I know...shameless opportunism!). They were a simple recipe but with rice as the filler. It was an old early fifties recipe and went down really well with loads of those who clearly remembered the rice.
quietwatersfarm
Registered Member

Postby captain wassname » Mon Feb 25, 2013 9:07 pm

Hi Phil do you have a link (no pun intended) all I could find was

http://groceries.asda.com/asda-estore/c ... artValue=1

A bit more pork and water isnt the lead ingredient also contains rind and rusk is mentioned as well as wheat flour.

Jim
now merely fat
captain wassname
Registered Member

Postby DiggingDogFarm » Mon Feb 25, 2013 9:29 pm

wheels wrote:Saucisson recreated a low meat supermarket one; I can't find the post for 'love nor money' though.

Phil

Cheap sausages were discussed in the Riley's Sausages thread.
Is that what you're thinking of?

~Martin
~Martin
Unsupervised rebellious radical agrarian experimenter, minimalist penny-pincher, self-reliant homesteader and adventurous cook. Crotchety cantankerous terse curmudgeon, non-conformist and contrarian who questions everything!
DiggingDogFarm
Registered Member

Postby wheels » Mon Feb 25, 2013 9:57 pm

Her you are Jim:

http://groceries.asda.com/asda-estore/c ... 0000914623

Martin
I'm sure it's not the Rileys one, as I refer to Dave doing it being in a previous thread, in that one. I even tried searching for 'sausage' with saucisson as the author, but the new search engine won't accept sausage as a search term as it's used so frequently. Regrettably, this means that it's ignored when used in combination with other words.

Oh well, I'm sure I'll trip over it when I'm not looking!

Phil
wheels
Global Moderator

Postby jenny_haddow » Mon Feb 25, 2013 10:24 pm

You guys are better at searching through this than I am, but I think the thread was started by vagreys account of his daughter's stay in England and eating cheap Sainsbury's sausages. I'm still trying to work my way round the new system so I shall leave it to those more fleet of foot, technologically speaking, to find it.

HTH

Jen
jenny_haddow
Registered Member

Postby vagreys » Mon Feb 25, 2013 10:41 pm

Jenny, that was what they are referring to as the Rileys post, and Wheels was remembering this recipe he can't find, back then.
- tom

Don't tell me the odds.

vagreys
Site Admin

Postby yotmon » Mon Feb 25, 2013 11:49 pm

Martin
I'm sure it's not the Rileys one, as I refer to Dave doing it being in a previous thread, in that one. I even tried searching for 'sausage' with saucisson as the author, but the new search engine won't accept sausage as a search term as it's used so frequently. Regrettably, this means that it's ignored when used in combination with other words.

Oh well, I'm sure I'll trip over it when I'm not looking!

Phil

Hi Phil, I think the search isn't pulling everything out. I've used quite a few different words but failed to find the thread. When I searched for 'Sainsbury's' under Dave's posts it said that none were found - even though I was reading one at the time from 2006. Maybe its only 'searching' recent posts ?

Yotmon.
"Success is going from failure to failure without a loss of enthusiasm." - Sir Winston Churchill
yotmon
Registered Member

Postby vagreys » Tue Feb 26, 2013 12:06 am

Yotmon, all posts are indexed, but the search engine does things like stripping out apostrophes from the search argument. I entered " sainsbury's " (no quotes, but with the apostrophe) by " saucisson" (again, no quotes), and it stripped out the apostrophe and ignored the trailing 's', making it a search for "sainsbury" by "saucisson" and returned two posts. If you can PM me exactly how you ran your query, I'd like to see how the search engine is handling what you entered, that you got no results.
- tom

Don't tell me the odds.

vagreys
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to Chatter