Ideas please!

Introductions and chatter

Ideas please!

Postby Ma » Mon Dec 05, 2005 9:08 am

Hello all, just found the forum and had to sign up!

I started making sausages this summer when I had the great fortune to get a sausage attachment for my kitchenaid mixer for my birthday. I have had some success of which I am very proud!

I have half a pig coming around the end of this month and am anticipating major activity in dealing with it! Some ideas of where to start would be great. Can I use any bits of meat for sausages? Should I have go at a salami maybe? And what about a bit of home curing (never tried THAT before!)

All suggestions gratefully received! :D
life is a waste of time, time is a waste of life, get wasted all the time and you'll have the time of your life!
Ma
Registered Member

Postby Paul Kribs » Mon Dec 05, 2005 10:23 am

Welcome to the forum Ma

It is quite a time consuming procedure processing 1/2 a pig as you can imagine. There is a lot of information on this forum regarding what you can make, and how to make it.. unfortunately you will have to do a lot of reading and using the 'search' facility on this forum, but you will find it of great benefit and woth the time and effort.

Initially you should butcher the 1/2 pig into primal cuts. I have a very basic tutorial on my website in the sausagemaking section, and if you need more detail there is a link on the bottom of that page for a very good in depth tutorial from Othmar Vohringer, master butcher. Just click the WWW icon on the bottom of this post.

Regards, Paul Kribs
Paul Kribs
Registered Member

Postby J.P. » Mon Dec 05, 2005 7:49 pm

Will you be getting the blood? :D

If not, see if you can ask for some.
Make some Black pudding!
J.P.
-
Eat, Drink, Be Merry and Prepare
For the Lupercalia Approaches.
February 15!
-
'Quel che non ammazza, ingrassa.'
J.P.
Registered Member

Re: Ideas please!

Postby othmar » Fri Dec 09, 2005 3:44 am

Ma wrote:Hello all, just found the forum and had to sign up!

I started making sausages this summer when I had the great fortune to get a sausage attachment for my kitchenaid mixer for my birthday. I have had some success of which I am very proud!

I have half a pig coming around the end of this month and am anticipating major activity in dealing with it! Some ideas of where to start would be great. Can I use any bits of meat for sausages? Should I have go at a salami maybe? And what about a bit of home curing (never tried THAT before!)

All suggestions gratefully received! :D

I am very happy for you to have found such an rewardsing hobby. Like it has been said here you will have a lot of reading to do and learn but it will be fun. I invite you to visit my forum and ask any questions you may have. You will find a lot of helpful folks here.
Meat is good and healthy Master Butchers Choice
othmar
Registered Member

Return to Chatter