New to Forum and have a question

Introductions and chatter

New to Forum and have a question

Postby Randy Rotermund » Sun Apr 14, 2013 10:04 am

Hi everyone! I've been making sausage off and on for about 5 or 6 years. I travel extensively for my job so I never seem to get as much time for any of my hobbies so as a result I would still consider me an armature. I'm looking forward to learning more and making better sausage which brings me to my first issue.

I am an American and still have my house in the Boston area, but I am currently living in Belgium. The food is great in Belgium; however there are certain things I crave from the United States and one of those foods is Sweet Italian pork sausage. I have tried several batches of sausage now that tasted ok, but not great. The meat here is lean so I'm adding fat but the fat I can get is heavily salted. So I was wondering if there were any sausage makers on the forum in europe who could steer me the right way. Please keep in mind my french is awful so asking butchers for ingredients and cuts of meat is almost impossible.

Thanks in advance for any help.
Randy Rotermund
Newly Registered

Re: New to Forum and have a question

Postby NCPaul » Sun Apr 14, 2013 10:41 am

Welcome to the forum. :D Two other choices for getting fat, other than fatback, would be fresh belly or jowls. Hopefully someone will give you the French terms for these cuts.
Fashionably late will be stylishly hungry.
NCPaul
Site Admin

Postby Randy Rotermund » Mon Apr 15, 2013 4:38 pm

Thank you. I won't give up!
Randy Rotermund
Newly Registered

Postby Wunderdave » Thu Apr 25, 2013 3:23 pm

Could you show up to a butcher with a meat chart or photographs and point?

"sans sel"
Wunderdave
Registered Member

Return to Chatter