Pics of bacon cuts

Introductions and chatter

Pics of bacon cuts

Postby yotmon » Sun May 12, 2013 4:05 pm

Been reading an old butchers book and took this photo of where to inject a side of pork with brine and the names of the many cuts used during the beginning of the last century.

Also, this one shows the prices charged for the different cuts - don't think many butchers would cut a side of bacon into so many pieces these days.

Yotmon.
"Success is going from failure to failure without a loss of enthusiasm." - Sir Winston Churchill
yotmon
Registered Member

Re: Pics of bacon cuts

Postby yotmon » Sun May 12, 2013 6:50 pm

Few more pics from the 19th century - certainly had a busy day at work to get through this lot. Pigs were a lot heavier in those days, just look at the backfat covering the crosscuts on the workbenches. But then again, fat was energy and when most men were doing such manual jobs then you needed the calories.
url]Image[/url].

"Success is going from failure to failure without a loss of enthusiasm." - Sir Winston Churchill
yotmon
Registered Member

Postby Dogfish » Mon May 13, 2013 9:24 pm

Thanks for finding/sharing. I get a huge kick out of stuff like this, and it helps me butcher my own stuff, too.

It's an interesting piece of social commentary, as well.
Chip the glasses and crack the plates!
Dogfish
Registered Member

Postby wheels » Mon May 13, 2013 11:10 pm

Great photos.

Hopefully and eventually, we can have an area of the forum for these heritage photos, recipes etc.

The trouble is: so much to do, such little time.

Phil
wheels
Global Moderator

Postby yotmon » Wed May 15, 2013 4:14 pm

Thanks chaps for your comments - I'm glad that you enjoyed them. This last picture is of the Leeds Shambles in Yorkshire during the late 19th Century. The conditions look awful for food/meat preparation but I suppose it sums up the quality of life in British Victorian cities at that time. If you look carefully, you can see a slaughtered sheep lying on a tressle which has its rear legs tied to prevent struggling. Also the dead 'bobby' calf hanging from the beam whilst another sheep on the right of the picture awaits its fate. I think the photograph captures the activities of the workers and shows that a large workforce was required.

yotmon
Registered Member

Return to Chatter