New 5 L vertical sausage stuffer

Introductions and chatter

New 5 L vertical sausage stuffer

Postby sundodger » Sun May 19, 2013 3:03 pm

So there it is, lashed out & bought a vertical stuffer off the site, as large batches were just too much on the grinder attachment ! Very pleased with the purchase & tried it out today for the first time. Made a total of twelve kilos or so & WOW! what a difference. Must admit though it ain't an easy task as a single person operation. Holding it down, cranking & feeding out the casings is a bit of an effort & also on the up stroke must remember in future not to let the crank handle slip! Being a rack drive, the handle spun back & whacked me good & proper behind the ear ! No problem however when the other half was delegated to crank the handle & just leave me to feed out the casing - Probably about ten times quicker than the Grinder attachment :D :D
Nostalgia is not what it used to be !
sundodger
Registered Member

Re: New 5 L vertical sausage stuffer

Postby vagreys » Sun May 19, 2013 5:11 pm

And another enters the fold... I use ratchet bar clamps to secure the base to the table. If the piston in your stuffer doesn't have an air release valve, adding one will reduce back pressure (as well as air being forced into the casing and casing explosions). Make sure your gears and the threaded shaft have adequate lubrication with a food-grade grease (not excessive - you don't want excess falling off). I find it helps to lubricate the o-ring gasket around the piston, when you first start stuffing. Once there is a little fat on the sides of the cylinder, the o-ring doesn't create so much friction/resistance. With a little practice, you will find that you can manage the stuffing by yourself, though I agree it is easier and faster with a helper.
- tom

Don't tell me the odds.

You have the power to donate life
vagreys
Site Admin

Postby tommix » Sun May 19, 2013 5:31 pm

Use a "C" clamp to hold the stuffer down and it makes it easy, pictured here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/C-clamp
My stuffer has an air vent but it will still backlash a little so I back off the pressure on the crank slowly.
tommix
Registered Member

Postby sundodger » Sun May 19, 2013 6:03 pm

Yep - It's got an air release, also for food grade lube I have used Olive oil from our own trees, seems to work well in the cylinder. Should be ok on the rack & pinion ?
Nostalgia is not what it used to be !
sundodger
Registered Member

Return to Chatter