Omcan Slicer

Introductions and chatter

Omcan Slicer

Postby ComradeQ » Thu May 30, 2013 2:44 am

Has anyone ever used the Omcan slicers? More specifically the Omcan model 300e 12" Italian made slicer here: http://www.omcan.com/meatslicers/meatsl ... /300E.html

I have managed to get one from kijiji for $100 and it is apparently in perfect working order and only a few months old. Hoping it can handle everything from my salamis and deli meats to even bacon. Any input is appreciated!
ComradeQ
Registered Member

Re: Omcan Slicer

Postby sundodger » Thu May 30, 2013 6:53 am

Hi - From the photo & spec. this slicer looks much like the one I "begged" from my local supermarket. Mine however is manufactured by Essedue in Italy, but funnily has also a model number as 300E.
It's a belt driven slicer & has built in grinding stones. The machine is used by me mainly for slicing bacon - It will cope with cooked meats etc with no problem. As usual though with bacon being how it is, it needs to be very well chilled (near to frozen) Then the machine has no problem.
Nostalgia is not what it used to be !
sundodger
Registered Member

Postby ComradeQ » Thu May 30, 2013 1:36 pm

sundodger wrote:Hi - From the photo & spec. this slicer looks much like the one I "begged" from my local supermarket. Mine however is manufactured by Essedue in Italy, but funnily has also a model number as 300E.
It's a belt driven slicer & has built in grinding stones. The machine is used by me mainly for slicing bacon - It will cope with cooked meats etc with no problem. As usual though with bacon being how it is, it needs to be very well chilled (near to frozen) Then the machine has no problem.

Right on! Going to pick it up now and am very excited. I love finding deals on kijiji and have needed a good slicer for some time.
ComradeQ
Registered Member

Postby ComradeQ » Fri May 31, 2013 12:55 am

I got it for $75 in the end! Spent two hours scrubbing it up, oiling everything, and sharpening the blade and then took it for a test drive. Sliced some salami so thin it was transparent! Wahoo! Score!

Here it is pre-cleaning and sharpening ...
ComradeQ
Registered Member

Postby sundodger » Fri May 31, 2013 5:16 am

Well done ! - looks to be a good result. I wouldn't be surprised if yours & mine are not actually by the same manufacturer? Yours appears exactly the same as mine. My slicer was put to use yesterday & admirably coped with 12 kilos of bacon that I have made for a local craft fair on Saturday :D
Nostalgia is not what it used to be !
sundodger
Registered Member

Return to Chatter