Othmar's site

Introductions and chatter

Othmar's site

Postby Franco » Tue Dec 13, 2005 8:23 am

Othmar, I can't find the meat cutting tutorial, did you take ut down from your site?

Franco
Franco
Site Admin

Re: Othmar's site

Postby othmar » Tue Dec 13, 2005 1:23 pm

Franco wrote:Othmar, I can't find the meat cutting tutorial, did you take ut down from your site?

Franco

Hi Franco.

You scared me there for a moment as I haven't checked my website in a week or so. I just checked and it still is there. Look at the leftside pannel and click on the second icon. The one which sys meat cutting tutorial. Please let me know if you have a problem put it worked on my PC.

By the way if you are still interested in the plan you had two month or so ago lets talk I have a bit more time now.
Meat is good and healthy Master Butchers Choice
othmar
Registered Member

Postby Paul Kribs » Tue Dec 13, 2005 2:06 pm

Yep, I had the same problem that my link icon to Othmars tutorial gave a 404 error. It is because the page has been renamed to http://members.shaw.ca/masterbutcher/meat_cutting_tutorial/intro.html

I changed my source code accordingly and it now works fine

Regards, Paul Kribs
Paul Kribs
Registered Member

Postby othmar » Tue Dec 13, 2005 2:21 pm

Yes Paul you are right when I put up the new tutorial the source code changed to: http://members.shaw.ca/masterbutcher/me ... intro.html

That came about because it was made as an independt website and then added to the existing one.
Hope this will solve Franco's problems too, sorry for the inconvienience it caused.
othmar
Registered Member

Postby aris » Tue Dec 13, 2005 2:27 pm

Othmar, why don't you get your own domain? Looks alot more professional.
aris
Site Admin

Postby othmar » Tue Dec 13, 2005 3:30 pm

aris wrote:Othmar, why don't you get your own domain? Looks alot more professional.

At the time when I made the website I never thought that it would become this popular. Shaw offerd me to host the site for no money. Now I am afraid that if I change to my own domain name I will lose a lot of trafic as this happen to a friend of mien. He basically had to do the whole promotion thing allover again. Currently I have an average of 120 hits per day. In a year I will re design the website and make it still larger yet and I am thinking of having my own domain name then by running both websites but phasing the current one slowly out. That might work better than cutting it completely off and change to another website.

You have seen here with the tutorial how quickly visitors get lost once they book mark a page and then can't get back to it. From my own experience, if I cannot get at a page from my book mark then I rarely bother to search for it in Google again.

My new website "Othmar Vohringer Outdoors" which will be all about hunting and my services to the hunting community will go online under my own domain name.
othmar
Registered Member

Postby Spuddy » Tue Dec 13, 2005 4:02 pm

Othmar, you could get your own domain and put a transparent redirect on the old one.
Spuddy
Site Admin

Postby aris » Tue Dec 13, 2005 5:11 pm

Spuddy is right - there is no reason why you can't have your own domain, and re-direct requests from the old domain to the new one - all transparent to the user.

In my experience, having what is obviously a free hosted website does not look as professional as having your own domain. Costs for this are really negligible and can be easily mitigated by putting ads on your site.
aris
Site Admin

Postby othmar » Wed Dec 14, 2005 12:39 am

Thank you to everyone for your input and suggestions I definitely will conceder them all when I redesign and enlarge my website. There are a few new ideas and prospects which at present look very promissing and will be a great asset to a website just about meat and everything around meat. I will make more tutorials and perhaps even a cooking tutorial made by a proper chef at the moment I am talking to manufacturers of tools and spices and we may bring out a signature line of products too. Like I said there are all sorts of plans and I am sure the new website will be very exiting and informative, at the moment the plan is to make several websites all contained within one but each themed differently. And yes it will have its own domain name too.
othmar
Registered Member

Return to Chatter