Their is a shortage of bacon

Introductions and chatter

Their is a shortage of bacon

Postby BriCan » Thu Jun 27, 2013 10:20 pm

It has come to pass that over these past few week it seems that the 'bacon fairy' has once again forsaken us possibly for warmer/drier climates. This last week I have processed no less than 60 middles and still it is not enough. The following is a up to the minuet shot of the 'bacon vault'

Monday is a holiday out this way so on tuesday and friday I will be receiving a total of 120 middles The mind boggles wot Christmas will be like :roll:
But what do I know
BriCan
Registered Member

Re: Their is a shortage of bacon

Postby NCPaul » Thu Jun 27, 2013 10:42 pm

It would be worse if I was within driving distance. :D I'm running low myself and hot weather is here; cold smoking is going to be tricky.
Fashionably late will be stylishly hungry.
NCPaul
Site Admin

Postby ComradeQ » Thu Jun 27, 2013 10:48 pm

I hear you, same going on here! I had to visit my farmer supplier this morning after working the midnight shift because so many people are bothering me for more bacon. My quantities are nowhere near yours but 50lbs should do me.
ComradeQ
Registered Member

Postby Dogfish » Fri Jun 28, 2013 11:32 pm

That's a lot of dead pigs! I've been leaving this nice weather for outdoors stuff but need to make up a bunch of sausage.
Chip the glasses and crack the plates!
Dogfish
Registered Member

Postby Mohalk » Wed Jul 03, 2013 5:28 pm

Dogfish wrote:That's a lot of dead pigs! I've been leaving this nice weather for outdoors stuff but need to make up a bunch of sausage.

Pigs taste much better dead!

Not to change the subject but what would be a fair price for fresh pork belles. I just got a quote locally $2.49 lb. at an avg. of 25 lbs. ea.
Old school! Why? I'm old.
Mohalk
Registered Member

Postby ComradeQ » Thu Jul 04, 2013 12:17 am

Mohalk wrote:
Dogfish wrote:That's a lot of dead pigs! I've been leaving this nice weather for outdoors stuff but need to make up a bunch of sausage.

Pigs taste much better dead!

Not to change the subject but what would be a fair price for fresh pork belles. I just got a quote locally $2.49 lb. at an avg. of 25 lbs. ea.

Cheapest I could find in the stores around here was $2.99/lb at the Asian grocery stores. I did a little sleuthing around however and found a direct pig farmer who sells them for between $0.99-$1.29/lb. He also has heritage breeds that are closer to $5.99/lb (Berkshire) but these are just your bog standard pigs. I find them fatty and meaty enough for good bacon and while Berkshire and other expensive pigs do in fact make better bacon, the bog standard bellies are still leagues above all store bought crap.

To answer your question, $2.49/lb is probably equal to the cheapest store bought stuff here when the exchange rate is taken into account. If you can find some direct farmers you can sometimes work out better deals.
ComradeQ
Registered Member

Postby NCPaul » Thu Jul 04, 2013 1:30 am

That's not a bad price for bellies if you are going to make them into bacon (and large at that); if you are going to use them for sausage, you might ask about hog jowls.
Fashionably late will be stylishly hungry.
NCPaul
Site Admin

Postby vagreys » Thu Jul 04, 2013 3:11 am

My prices have been around $1.69/lb, but have jumped by 30% in the last three weeks.
- tom

Don't tell me the odds.

You have the power to donate life
vagreys
Site Admin

Postby Mohalk » Thu Jul 04, 2013 10:14 am

Thank you for the reply guys. It looks to be a fair price seeing they are not easy to find around here.

Thanks again
Al
Old school! Why? I'm old.
Mohalk
Registered Member

Return to Chatter