NCPaul Picks Wild Blackberries

Introductions and chatter

NCPaul Picks Wild Blackberries

Postby NCPaul » Sun Jun 30, 2013 12:06 am

I went to visit my sister and niece and pick some wild blackberries.

It's hard to see just how many thorns these have. A quick movement will draw blood and the best ones are just out of reach.

Blackberry picking hand. This patch also had kudzu growing so there were stinkbugs. We didn't find any snakes and will find out tomorrow if there were chiggers. Sunny and mid 80s of course.

I did find some fire ants which are very aggressive and biting. Some would panic, some would curse like a sailor, I went with "scream like a girl". :D

The blackberries are sweet and have a much more concentrated flavor than the large waterlogged ones in the store. I'll put some of these up in heavy syrup with framboise and make sorbet with the rest. When I eat these, I'll remember that I earned it. Thanks to my helpers.

Fashionably late will be stylishly hungry.
NCPaul
Site Admin

Re: NCPaul Picks Wild Blackberries

Postby yotmon » Sun Jun 30, 2013 12:07 pm

Hi Paul, they look good enough to eat ! Nothing better than picking 'wild' food and coming up with ideas on how to use them. Yours are well in front of ours, they are only just flowering over here, probably be ready at the end of August/early September. I like to mix a few with apples and make a pie.
About 30 years ago, we had a hot summer (yes they do exist) and I picked a bumper crop of large berries from a field where horses were kept. I decided to make a wine from them so used approx 5lb to the gallon, plus some grape juice and sugar. Well, everyone who drank that wine just fell asleep - weird. It was the only wine I ever got to flambe. Don't know what the alcohol content was but must have been getting towards 'Port' levels.

By the way, there are masses of Elder flower this year so looks like there will be a good harvest in the Autumn if anyone fancies their hand at Elderberry wine, or even try the flowers to make a 'Champagne' style fizzy wine.

Ste.
"Success is going from failure to failure without a loss of enthusiasm." - Sir Winston Churchill
yotmon
Registered Member

Postby saucisson » Wed Jul 03, 2013 4:26 pm

I noticed elder flowers all over the place, might try some champers :)
Curing is not an exact science... So it's not a sin to bin.

Great hams, from little acorns grow...
saucisson
Site Admin

Postby TJ Buffalo » Thu Jul 04, 2013 1:33 pm

Wow, this brought up memories, I haven't picked wild blackberries in years. Of course, looking at the thorn-inflicted marks, I also remember why.
TJ Buffalo
Global Moderator

Postby Dogfish » Thu Jul 04, 2013 5:36 pm

Around here they grow on all the wasteland margins. We get tons -- almost enough it should be celebrated in some sort of festival. There get to be sorts of tunnels in the patches where people push in to pick. Eventually everyone tires and the remainders rot. Did five gallons of full-bodied wine, still maturing, and about two dozen pints of jam and jelly, all gone. This year it'll be light-bodied quaffing wine I'll likely dilute with apple. Only second to the grape in sheer glory, right above the apple. Pretty neat stuff for such a malignant pest of a plant.
Chip the glasses and crack the plates!
Dogfish
Registered Member

Postby BriCan » Thu Jul 04, 2013 6:53 pm

Dogfish wrote:Around here they grow on all the wasteland margins. We get tons -- almost enough it should be celebrated in some sort of festival.

And their in lays a taught ............. Blackberry Sausage ....... :mrgreen:
But what do I know
BriCan
Registered Member

Postby ComradeQ » Sat Jul 06, 2013 3:45 am

I get so many blackberries in my garden I never know what to do with them. Jams, crumbles, sorbets, fruit blender drinks, I use so many and yet there is still a dozen large freezer bags full from previous years. I need to find something new for this years beauties!
ComradeQ
Registered Member

Postby Dogfish » Sat Jul 06, 2013 4:29 am

Booze.
Dogfish
Registered Member

Postby NCPaul » Sat Jul 06, 2013 11:24 am

They should make a nice lambic beer. I know of a patch that is closer to me so I might have to give that some thought myself. :D
Fashionably late will be stylishly hungry.
NCPaul
Site Admin

Postby Dogfish » Sat Jul 06, 2013 3:28 pm

One thing the u-brew guy warned me about (he's got awards everywhere) was to not let the berries sit on their skins for anything more than absolutely necessary or a lot of acid leaches out and the batch requires long aging -- hence my stuff sitting since last November.
Dogfish
Registered Member

Return to Chatter