Pizza Pepperoni Help PLEASE

Introductions and chatter

Pizza Pepperoni Help PLEASE

Postby rmo_67 » Wed Jul 10, 2013 7:38 pm

Hi everyone,
Sorry for the dumb question but here it goes anyway.
I'm an American living overseas in S.E. Asia, my wife and I opened a succesful pizzeria about three years ago and business is doing well. However, the only pepperoni they have here for sell is an all beef pepperoni and well the do have small amounts of imported pepperoni from the states but it is so expensive we can not justify it.

I have a very good pork suppliar, who also makes sausage (he is a large company that supplies national wide to one of the largest grocery stores here). I need one or two AUTHENTIC AMERICAN Pizza pepperoni recipe. You guys know the type, the bright red or organe stuff that you find at just about every pizzeria. I believe they us mostly semi-dried form in order to not burn so easy in the high heat of the ovens. (even hormel pepperoni style will work). We are not a Gourmet shop but rather your every day in every town type store guys. But this is serious we cannot offer pepperonie and I have found a few recipes online but non of them came even near anything. They were either too brown, or not tangy enough or tasted more like paprika. I am looking for bascially a clone of what you find in every pizzeria, suppermarket, etc. We also would like to be able to sell the sausage to our expat frinds to take home and use in their salads and subs, and we also may use it in our salads to. I believe it should be pork beef mixture.
rmo_67
Newly Registered

Re: Pizza Pepperoni Help PLEASE

Postby DiggingDogFarm » Wed Jul 10, 2013 8:40 pm

~Martin
Unsupervised rebellious radical agrarian experimenter, minimalist penny-pincher, self-reliant homesteader and adventurous cook. Crotchety cantankerous terse curmudgeon, non-conformist and contrarian who questions everything!
DiggingDogFarm
Registered Member

Postby RodinBangkok » Wed Jul 10, 2013 10:31 pm

The forumulation from poli referenced above is not a fermented dried pepperoni, which is what I think your looking for. Below is one that may be closer to the semi dry pepperoni I remember from the states.

http://www.meatsandsausages.com/sausage ... peroni-dry

This will not be easy for your sausage maker unless he is setup for, and is familiar with fermenting and drying sausages.
I am the master of my fate:
I am the captain of my soul.
_____

Rod
RodinBangkok
Registered Member

Postby JerBear » Thu Jul 11, 2013 1:50 am

I just made the Len Poli recipe that Martin linked to and it's good but a little spicier than I would have preferred. Might be worth a shot to try the fresh/cooked version.
JerBear
Registered Member

Postby rmo67 » Thu Jul 11, 2013 2:43 am

The lean Poli, he did make before but it did not seem anything what we are used to in the states. Use my guy is set up they make on average around 600 kilos of sausage a week. They are a professional sausage maker that supplies around 22 supermakets here in Malaysia. The problem here is that they have never made pepperoni before and do not have a real recipe for it.
The one we are talking about is more or less: Bright and Deep Red / Orange in color, a little Greasy and has a bit tangy with a little bite to it.

They should look something like the following: http://rmichaelo67.wix.com/pizza
Please take a look at it, I have posted four pictures of what the finished product should look lik,e. Again this should be American Pizza pepperoni, not European or the Italian style of it.
Thanks again guys,
rmo67
Registered Member

Postby JerBear » Thu Jul 11, 2013 2:50 am

Don't know if you're willing to get something shipped in but Butcher & Packer has a spice kit. I don't think it would be an issue to stuff them into larger collagen casings and cook in an oven.

http://www.butcher-packer.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=86_110&products_id=347
JerBear
Registered Member

Postby DiggingDogFarm » Thu Jul 11, 2013 3:04 am

The color that you get is going to depend mostly on the paprika type and quantity that you use.

Here are a couple more recipes......

http://www.meatsandsausages.com/sausage ... peroni-dry
http://www.meatsandsausages.com/sausage ... i-semi-dry

~Martin
~Martin
Unsupervised rebellious radical agrarian experimenter, minimalist penny-pincher, self-reliant homesteader and adventurous cook. Crotchety cantankerous terse curmudgeon, non-conformist and contrarian who questions everything!
DiggingDogFarm
Registered Member

Postby DiggingDogFarm » Thu Jul 11, 2013 3:13 am

rmo_67 wrote:I am looking for bascially a clone of what you find in every pizzeria, suppermarket, etc.

They're not all the same where I live.
I can go to 5 different pizzerias in this small town and they all use a different pepperoni.
One shop puts 2 different pepperonis on their pizzas.

~Martin
~Martin
DiggingDogFarm
Registered Member

Postby RodinBangkok » Thu Jul 11, 2013 3:29 am

You need to ask the guy if he has ever made dried, fermented type sausage products. The process is quite different and requires a lot of space and controlled environment to do on a production basis. Also I've found here in Thailand that the curing/drying can be difficult to control, mainly due to outside bacterial contamination. It seems to me that the tropic type environment makes it easier to get problems with regards to bad bacterial growth showing up during curing. So years ago I decided we would not do higher volume type production of these type products, at least until we had special curing areas to insure high yield. With more and more outside western influence moving into our region, we may rethink that in the future. But speaking from experience you might want to ask the guy you want to use if he's familiar with these type products, that being semi-dry fermented sausages. The non fermented will never come close to what your looking for, as you probable know already.
FInally you might want to try and tie in with an importer that is supplying a high volume to others in Malaysia. We've done that with some supplies, so we get his advantage of his importing large quantities and can get a better price by tying in with his volumes.
I am the master of my fate:
I am the captain of my soul.
_____

Rod
RodinBangkok
Registered Member

Postby wheels » Thu Jul 11, 2013 11:45 am

Is the stuff used for pizza topping actually a dried fermented product? I assume that a lot of it was just a cooked product. That said, my ignorance of US pizza has no bounds! :lol: :lol:

Phil
wheels
Global Moderator

Postby tommix » Thu Jul 11, 2013 4:44 pm

I was thinking also that it might be a cooked product, using the procedures for making a summer sausage.
tommix
Registered Member

Postby johngaltsmotor » Thu Jul 11, 2013 5:15 pm

Here is the recipe I've got (not sure where I grabbed it from online), you can compare it to the others. It looks like Hormel when cut into and the discs curled up and held the oils just like small mom and pop pizzerias tend to. As the others have said, it's the cayenne that determines the amount of heat and the paprika that determines the color so you can adjust accordingly. This is a fairly simple recipe (I believe it was the 2nd sausage I ever made), but it is always a hit on homemade pizza.

2 1/2lb pork butt
2 1/2lb lean beef chuck
1lb pork back fat (bacon)
5tsp salt
1/2 cup fat free milk
4 Tbsp paprika
3 Tbsp cayenne pepper
1 1/4tsp Dextrose
4tsp Anise seed - crushed
2tsp garlic powder
2Tbsp dry red wine
1/2tsp fennel seeds
1tsp cure #1

grind meats coarse
mix salt and cure into meat
grind spices fine
mix spices into meat
stuff into hog casings
light smoke at 190F until 150F internal
remove from smokehouse & cool
when cool dip in boiling water for 20 seconds to shrink casing
Pigs are magical creatures.... they turn vegetables into BACON!!
johngaltsmotor
Registered Member

Postby DiggingDogFarm » Thu Jul 11, 2013 7:13 pm

wheels wrote:Is the stuff used for pizza topping actually a dried fermented product?

Yes, most list Lactic Acid Starter Culture as an ingredient and they are dried down.

~Martin
~Martin
DiggingDogFarm
Registered Member

Postby wheels » Thu Jul 11, 2013 7:15 pm

Many thanks Martin.

Phil
wheels
Global Moderator

Postby Wunderdave » Mon Jul 15, 2013 9:02 pm

DiggingDogFarm wrote:
wheels wrote:Is the stuff used for pizza topping actually a dried fermented product?

Yes, most list Lactic Acid Starter Culture as an ingredient and they are dried down.

~Martin

And they are shelf-stable.
Wunderdave
Registered Member

Return to Chatter