Got To Say...

Introductions and chatter

Got To Say...

Postby Dogfish » Wed Sep 04, 2013 2:20 am

I love harvest season. Got 12 gallons of cider on the go and 10 gallons of blackberry wine coming up; another pig on the horizon and deer season opens in a week. Tons of rain too, so tons of mushrooms. Haven't even hit the fall apples yet, and the salmon I fish for have yet to arrive. Glad the heat is finally over for the year.
Chip the glasses and crack the plates!
Dogfish
Registered Member

Re: Got To Say...

Postby BriCan » Wed Sep 04, 2013 6:31 am

Dogfish wrote: Glad the heat is finally over for the year.

Don't speak too soon, there is that thing we call 'Indian Summer' :wink:
But what do I know
BriCan
Registered Member

Postby Laripu » Wed Sep 04, 2013 12:06 pm

Heat is over for the year? Not bloody likely, where I live!

I know just what you mean though. I'm an ex-Montrealer, left 16 years ago.

I've never visited BC. That's still on my list, along with the UK and Oregon and Calgary.
Dort wo man Bücher verbrennt, verbrennt man auch am Ende Menschen. - Heinrich Heine.
Laripu
Registered Member

Postby yotmon » Wed Sep 04, 2013 1:30 pm

Well, I'm envious of your circumstances. Just on my way out to search a local wood for Boletus Edulis (Porcini) but don't hold up much hope - had no proper rain for weeks. Obtained a few blackberries last weekend so now waiting for the apples to ripen on the sister-in-laws tree to make a fruity wine. Last year a friend of mine invited me up to Scotland to try for a salmon and also Roe deer, because of circumstances I had to decline the offer, but hopefully will be able to take him up on it this season. Good luck with the Salmon and tight lines !

Ste.
"Success is going from failure to failure without a loss of enthusiasm." - Sir Winston Churchill
yotmon
Registered Member

Postby Dogfish » Wed Sep 04, 2013 3:09 pm

...but the lingering cloudless 30+ C is over!

@Laripu: I've never been past the east Saskatchewan border. However, the west is worth visiting. Calgary's attitude is impeccable, and the weather and landscape gets more and more pleasant the farther west you get.

@Yotmon: Going shooting and fishing in Scotland would be amazing.
Chip the glasses and crack the plates!
Dogfish
Registered Member

Postby Laripu » Wed Sep 04, 2013 4:46 pm

Dogfish wrote:@Laripu: I've never been past the east Saskatchewan border. However, the west is worth visiting. Calgary's attitude is impeccable, and the weather and landscape gets more and more pleasant the farther west you get.

I've been to the US west coast (San Diego), but I've wanted to see the Canadian west coast for a long time. The furthest west I've gotten in Canada is Windsor, and that was in 1981!

We have friends in Calgary, so the likelihood is I'll go there, rent a car and then drive to Vancouver, probably stopping a few days in Kelowna, if the forest isn't on fire. The hard part (always) is convincing Mrs Laripu to travel. :cry: She dislikes flying and really hates spending great huge wads of cash.

I have no doubt I'll enjoy it.
Dort wo man Bücher verbrennt, verbrennt man auch am Ende Menschen. - Heinrich Heine.
Laripu
Registered Member

Return to Chatter