I should have introduced myself here first

Introductions and chatter

I should have introduced myself here first

Postby Laripu » Thu Sep 05, 2013 1:33 am

....but instead I jumped right in and posted a recipe.

So to make up for it: HI! I'm Larry, but you can called me Laripu. It sounds vaguely Romanian, but think Larry-poo. ;)

I'm an ex- Canadian, now American, living in Tampa for the past 16 years.

I've made 10 batches of sausage, each better than the last, over the last 18 months.

I've made fresh goat cheese (but not for a long time, only about 10 batches. I'm interested in fermenting vegetables, like sauerkraut or kimchi. I've made wine about half a dozen times, but I've been making beer and mead for 23 years. I hope I continue to make sausage for that long.

Lox is easy and fun to make, but in Tampa I can only cold-smoke in winter (which lasts about 5 minutes ).

It appears to me that I can learn a lot on here.
Dort wo man Bücher verbrennt, verbrennt man auch am Ende Menschen. - Heinrich Heine.
Laripu
Registered Member

Re: I should have introduced myself here first

Postby wheels » Thu Sep 05, 2013 3:21 pm

...not to worry, we've enjoyed your posts.

...and welcome!

Phil :lol: :lol: :D :D
wheels
Global Moderator

Postby Big Guy » Thu Sep 05, 2013 10:48 pm

Welcome, we have a few things in common, I'm Canadian and winter in Floral city about an hour north of Tampa.
Col. Big Guy
Big Guy
Registered Member

Postby Laripu » Fri Sep 06, 2013 9:56 pm

Big Guy wrote:Welcome, we have a few things in common, I'm Canadian and winter in Floral city about an hour north of Tampa.

Do you make dry or fermented sausages in Floral City? Any mold problems?

I had a friend in Ottawa who was originally from Owen Sound, not far from you. He hadn't spoken to me since I moved to the United States. That's the way it goes sometimes.
Dort wo man Bücher verbrennt, verbrennt man auch am Ende Menschen. - Heinrich Heine.
Laripu
Registered Member

Postby Ruralidle » Fri Sep 13, 2013 1:43 pm

Laripu wrote:I had a friend in Ottawa who was originally from Owen Sound, not far from you. He hadn't spoken to me since I moved to the United States. That's the way it goes sometimes.

What do you expect when you emigrate to the US :?: :lol:
Ruralidle
Registered Member

Postby Laripu » Thu Sep 19, 2013 2:07 am

Ruralidle wrote:
Laripu wrote:I had a friend in Ottawa who was originally from Owen Sound, not far from you. He hadn't spoken to me since I moved to the United States. That's the way it goes sometimes.

What do you expect when you emigrate to the US :?: :lol:

He was the only one to react that way. I still have friends and family in Canada. They visit me here,
and vice versa. Except they come here in winter, and I go there in summer.

And you.... a Shropshire lad. ;) ... where Bunbury lives, isn't it? I read "The Importance of Being Ernest" as a child, and it wasn't until I was in my 30s that I discovered it wasn't a made-up place. :)
Laripu
Registered Member

Postby Ruralidle » Thu Sep 19, 2013 9:36 am

Bunbury is in Cheshire, a county just north of Shropshire, but I know it quite well because of the staircase of locks on the canal there. We had a narrowboat for 10 years and cruised through Bunbury many times - but I avoided reading "The Importance of being Ernest".

Despite the reference to A E Housman's famous poem, I am not a Shropshire Lad by birth. I hail from a couple of counties east - Derbyshire - and my friends from there still keep in touch. :wink:

Personally, despite the attractions of a warm place to live in the winter, I would avoid the US (even Alaska) like the plague but each to his own. Your place of residence wouldn't stop me talking with you though :lol: !
Ruralidle
Registered Member

Postby Laripu » Thu Sep 19, 2013 11:36 am

Ruralidle wrote:Bunbury is in Cheshire, a county just north of Shropshire, but I know it quite well because of the staircase of locks on the canal there. We had a narrowboat for 10 years and cruised through Bunbury many times - but I avoided reading "The Importance of being Ernest".

In the play there's a character named Algernon, who lives in London. In order to give himself a virtuous sounding excuse to spend time in the country, he makes up a fictional invalid friend name Bunbury, who, he says, lives in Shropshire. When he feels like a little vacation, he tells his relatives that Bunbury has taken a turn for the worse, and he must visit him. He calls his little vacations "Bunburying", and claims to have Bunburyed in many rural locations (not just Shropshire).

It's a funny play. I liked it, even as a child, with no knowledge of the places or culture. I was a city boy in Montreal, and the mannerisms of the people in the play were largely unfamiliar to me.

As to Housman... if, as he says, ale does more than Milton can, then how much better at it must ale and sausage be? But I have a positive bias there: these are my two main hobbies. :) Better than Bunburying. :D
Laripu
Registered Member

Postby Ruralidle » Thu Sep 19, 2013 12:15 pm

The Ludlow Food Festivals have both a beer and a sausage trail around the town :)
Ruralidle
Registered Member

Postby BriCan » Thu Sep 19, 2013 2:06 pm

Ruralidle wrote:The Ludlow Food Festivals have both a beer and a sausage trail around the town :)

Oh how I miss :cry: :cry: :cry:
But what do I know
BriCan
Registered Member

Postby wheels » Thu Sep 19, 2013 2:50 pm

If you're in Ludlow market say hello to the sausage and pie seller - he's forum member Welsh Wizard.

Phil
wheels
Global Moderator

Postby Ruralidle » Thu Sep 19, 2013 3:33 pm

Hello Phil

I have met WW when I visited the Farmers' Market but I couldn't buy his sausages. He was only allowed to sell hot food at that particular market and as I had a table booked for lunch at a good restaurant I was not into buying anything from him. On another occasion he chose to go on holiday rather than meet me ;) .

I plan to go to Ludlow in the next few weeks and hope to bump into him again. Maybe if I go on another day I will get to buy a pack or two of his sausages :) .
Ruralidle
Registered Member

Postby wheels » Thu Sep 19, 2013 3:52 pm

I keep planning a few days away in the Ludlow area, but it never seems to happen. :cry:

Phil
wheels
Global Moderator

Postby Ruralidle » Thu Sep 19, 2013 4:38 pm

I'm sure that WW & I can recommend a few places to visit :) should you manage to get over here. There are a few cobbles around the town though, but I am sure you would love to do your own version of the sausage trail (and maybe the ale trail as well). Seriously, if you are coming over this way, let me know and we can probably meet for a pint or two (soda water of course ;) ).
Ruralidle
Registered Member

Postby wheels » Thu Sep 19, 2013 6:07 pm

Many thanks - if I ever get there, I'll be sure to let you know.

Phil
wheels
Global Moderator

Next

Return to Chatter