Question on prices

Introductions and chatter

Re: Question on prices

Postby Laripu » Mon Sep 09, 2013 4:21 pm

Dogfish wrote:Yeah for sure; I didn't mean it to be a slap down or anything. In small batches it's usually just cheaper to buy at the store. Another person worth contacting would be custom butchers.

Thanks.
BTW, I didn't see it as a slap down. I didn't take offense. I was interested in the information. It's hard to transmit affect in a text message. Certainly not facial expressions and tone of voice. Here's the best I can do now in this medium: :) :) :) :D
Dort wo man Bücher verbrennt, verbrennt man auch am Ende Menschen. - Heinrich Heine.
Laripu
Registered Member

Postby wheels » Mon Sep 09, 2013 8:06 pm

funksteruk2 wrote:
wheels wrote:It's easier for me to post a link, rather than the prices I have to pay. These prices are not 'trade', anyone can go into the shop and buy:

http://www.joseph-morris.co.uk/pdf/meatlist.pdf

Phil

do these deliver Wheels?

Only within a 10-20 mile or so radius I'm afraid. They're not geared up for mail order.

What I have found is that, although places like farm-shops may be very expensive for small amounts of meat, there's usually a deal to be done on (say) half a pig. It's always worth asking. Also, check out farms locally. Maybe I'm lucky, but I have 2 or 3 locally where I can get ½ a pig at a sensible price.

HTH

Phil
wheels
Global Moderator

Postby funksteruk2 » Mon Sep 09, 2013 10:43 pm

I,m getting my mince from the butcher that supplies work atm, and could strike a better deal if i buy more in 1 go, but storage is a problem.

Plus I,d rather have local meat but that would increase the price of making them by alot, selling at £2 for 4 sausage now but people are happy with that and not making any money on them hahaha
funksteruk2
Registered Member

Postby yotmon » Sat Sep 14, 2013 11:20 pm

Called at the market today and they were selling full boneless pork loins (5kg) , 3 x 1.35 kg half Legs of Lamb (shank or fillet end), plus full large fresh Salmon - all going for £10.00 each, so there's still some bargains to be had. Wanted to buy two of the loins, but having already bought a 9kg bag of onions (£3.30) and 5lb of Cheshire potatoes for 80p, my aching arms just couldn't take it - especially as I'd parked on the 6th floor of the multi-storey car park.

Ste.
"Success is going from failure to failure without a loss of enthusiasm." - Sir Winston Churchill
yotmon
Registered Member

Postby Laripu » Sun Sep 15, 2013 11:46 pm

I visited a farmer's wholesale today. They have very good prices, but you have to buy large quantities. I may buy pork shoulder for sausage there, at some point. Even though we wouldn't have the variety of two 5-lb batches, with different meat, I suppose I could spice two batches of the pork differently.
Dort wo man Bücher verbrennt, verbrennt man auch am Ende Menschen. - Heinrich Heine.
Laripu
Registered Member

Previous

Return to Chatter