New pig variant

Introductions and chatter

New pig variant

Postby TJ Buffalo » Sat Sep 21, 2013 4:05 pm

So a farmer in Iowa (land of pigs and corn) has come up with a new crossbreed of pig that seems to be oriented toward good meat rather than just the low-fat white meat of most commercial American pigs. It'll be interesting to try see if it takes off; I for one would love to give it a try.
TJ Buffalo
Global Moderator

Re: New pig variant

Postby BriCan » Sun Sep 22, 2013 3:57 am

Came across this some time ago but have not heard any more about it
But what do I know
BriCan
Registered Member

Postby JerBear » Fri Sep 27, 2013 1:35 am

I'd be very interested to learn more, especially as La Querica felt they were too fatty. Sadly his website, http://rustikroosterfarms.com/iowa-swabian-hall/ is all over the place with tacky tchotchkes and has no pictures of butchered hogs showing the meat or the fat. Looks promising though...
JerBear
Registered Member

Postby Laripu » Tue Oct 01, 2013 4:33 pm

TJ Buffalo wrote:So a farmer in Iowa (land of pigs and corn) has come up with a new crossbreed of pig that seems to be oriented toward good meat rather than just the low-fat white meat of most commercial American pigs. It'll be interesting to try see if it takes off; I for one would love to give it a try.

I'm all in favour of this kind of experimentation, but I personally prefer low fat meat.

but I'll really be impressed when they can breed a pig that goes "moo". :wink: :)
Dort wo man Bücher verbrennt, verbrennt man auch am Ende Menschen. - Heinrich Heine.
Laripu
Registered Member

Postby BriCan » Wed Oct 02, 2013 1:26 pm

Laripu wrote:I'm all in favour of this kind of experimentation, but I personally prefer low fat meat.

Believe it or not ~~ fat is where the flavour is ~~ lean meat = low flavour :( :( :(
But what do I know
BriCan
Registered Member

Postby Mohalk » Wed Oct 02, 2013 2:00 pm

BriCan wrote:
Believe it or not ~~ fat is where the flavour is ~~ lean meat = low flavour :( :( :(

This is so true!

Pork today that is sold in any of the major chain stores is way too lean and what little fat that is there is trimmed off to boot.

I took a small 20 lb. order for andouille and went to pick up some Boston Butts to make the sausage but found I had to add fat to it to even get close to 80/20. Sad :(

I roasted a picnic last week and there was near zero fat under the skin and had little flavor. In times past there would be close to 1/2 in. (10mm to 13mm) fat under the skin and we would all fight over it. We called it "pork candy"

Al
Old school! Why? I'm old.
Mohalk
Registered Member

Postby yotmon » Wed Oct 02, 2013 5:36 pm

This is what Bacon used to look like at the beginning of the 20th century, fat was energy and provided the necessary calories for heavy manual work.

Lean bacon was far too salty and only suitable for drunkards - according to the book. :wink:
"Success is going from failure to failure without a loss of enthusiasm." - Sir Winston Churchill
yotmon
Registered Member

Postby quietwatersfarm » Wed Oct 02, 2013 6:38 pm

Carl is a top bloke - he has worked on breeding a pig that he feels more than rivals the Manga's that have become so popular in foodie circles. Looks good if your after a fat American swine (I think they are Russian/Meishan cross??)

I get all the fat pork I need off an apple and maize fed Old Spot :)
quietwatersfarm
Registered Member

Postby Laripu » Wed Oct 02, 2013 7:05 pm

BriCan wrote:
Laripu wrote:I'm all in favour of this kind of experimentation, but I personally prefer low fat meat.

No, I do believe it.... but I actually don't like the flavour of fat, even pork fat. Yeah, heresy, I know, but "de gustibus non est disputandum". :)

I prefer the flavour of the spices, especially garlic and basil.
Dort wo man Bücher verbrennt, verbrennt man auch am Ende Menschen. - Heinrich Heine.
Laripu
Registered Member

Return to Chatter