Newbie!

Introductions and chatter

Newbie!

Postby Leevers » Tue Dec 03, 2013 2:12 am

Hi all :)

I'm from Perth, Western Australia and have debated for many years on getting into the art of curing meat from Chorizo to Salami and with he wife stating yesterday she wants to get into making cheese, I figured after all these years it's about time we saw eye to eye on something..... ;)

Never the less am looking forward to learning the ropes. I plan on doing plenty of research before I jump out of my seat to go buy all sorts of equipment etc I'll send her on a cheese making course for her birthday, but otherwise the rest we'll trial and error.

Look forward to learning from all of you masters out there and hoping to create some of my own fantastic sausages :)

Regards,
Leevers
Leevers
Registered Member

Re: Newbie!

Postby crustyo44 » Tue Dec 03, 2013 8:46 am

Hi Leevers,
Curing salami and ageing cheese in the same chamber is a big NO NO. Unless you like salami tasting like camembert or brie or whatever. The spores certainly transfer the taste to one and another.
Anyway, you have a very experienced curing and smoking expert living in Perth who would be available for advise when time permits. Message or email me for his address.
Cheers Mate,
Jan.
crustyo44
Registered Member

Postby NCPaul » Tue Dec 03, 2013 3:51 pm

Welcome to the forum. :D We have a very good beginners guide for you here:

viewtopic.php?f=15&t=11029

It is a great place to start and will help you avoid some mistakes.
Fashionably late will be stylishly hungry.
NCPaul
Site Admin

Postby Leevers » Tue Dec 17, 2013 4:05 am

Thanks for the warm welcome and replies!

Thanks for the info crusty. I won't be doing them in the same chamber and as I just found out the wife is pregnant, there goes the soft cheese idea.

I'll be purchasing a sausage filler in due course and proceed from there. It's obviously starting to really ramp up in heat here with temps pushing 40 degree's so curing might be difficult at this point in time, but by the time I get all the materials and research done it should be nearing autumn where I plan to make a start on sausage curing. In the mean time, I'm looking forward to making some fresh home made sausages for the BBQ :)

Great site with plenty of info, look forward to learning from you all.
Leevers
Registered Member

Return to Chatter