Best Cured Venison suggestions?

Introductions and chatter

Best Cured Venison suggestions?

Postby johngaltsmotor » Tue Dec 03, 2013 12:41 pm

Okay, the last time I asked for input worked out great, so I'm back...

What are people's favorite cured and/or smoked venison recipes? Unfortunately my drying chamber controller is still in development so I can't age yet for hams and the like. But I'm looking for something different than roasts or sausages. I didn't see much in the way of whole muscle recipes posted that aren't dried.

It doesn't have much fat to it, but my thinking is to try a pastrami. Or bacon curing the backstraps. Other thoughts?
Pigs are magical creatures.... they turn vegetables into BACON!!
johngaltsmotor
Registered Member

Re: Best Cured Venison suggestions?

Postby Dingo » Tue Dec 03, 2013 2:40 pm

I tried BigGuy's snack stix last weekend....they're very good and give you some practise at running your smoker at different temps (which is just about impossible with my home depot brinkman gas unit. :evil: )
Here's the link;
http://forum.sausagemaking.org/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=9717

I plan on doing a venison salami later this week when my 50mm beef rounds arrive. Using this;
http://lpoli.50webs.com/index_files/Salami%20venison.pdf

The only whole meat venison I've done is Biltong (google "biltong box" great website for biltong and owned by a member here I believe

Bresaola would be another option...

HTH...just the random mental wanderings of a man who hasn't had enough coffee yet :)
Dingo
Registered Member

Postby johngaltsmotor » Mon Dec 09, 2013 4:19 pm

Well, after an enjoyable afternoon of butchering I ended up with 45lb of Venison to experiment with. The most common whole muscle treatments I could find lead to me now having a 7.6lb bone in ham and the first of several 2.5lb pastrami's curing.
You've gotta love free lean meat to play with. I even saved the larger bones so when I smoke the pastrami I can smoke those for dog treats.
johngaltsmotor
Registered Member

Postby johngaltsmotor » Wed Dec 18, 2013 3:32 pm

Well, I think I ruined my appetite for beef pastrami. After making venison pastrami I'm not sure I can ever go back. Sliced thick on toasted marble rye with swiss cheese alongside a homebrewed beer.... :drool:
The only regret is that I should have left it for another couple days, there is a 1/4" section in the thickest part that didn't cure through.
johngaltsmotor
Registered Member

Postby johngaltsmotor » Thu Dec 26, 2013 3:25 pm

For a first attempt at venison ham I'm quite pleased. The lovely dark purple. The small areas of opalescence. A great rich flavor.
I even have a couple of guys volunteering to hunt in exchange for my venison processing.

Thanks to the regulars here for your recipes and stories, without them I wouldn't have had the confidence to try it. If I weren't so greedy I'd send you samples instead of just a "thank you".
johngaltsmotor
Registered Member

Return to Chatter