Sous Vide anyone ?

Introductions and chatter

Re: Sous Vide anyone ?

Postby quietwatersfarm » Tue Dec 17, 2013 8:03 pm

Just to say that these http://anovaculinary.com/ are the business. Wouldnt swap for anything, running three units here in big plastic cambro tubs.
quietwatersfarm
Registered Member

Postby DiggingDogFarm » Wed Dec 18, 2013 5:05 am

Wunderdave wrote:Sous vide cooking is a bit of a misnomer, it doesn't have to be under a full, pulled vacuum. Really only it just have to have most of the air excluded (enough to get rid of buoyancy).

The technique, if you have a proper device to control temperature, and some know-how, is really mind-bending.

Rare chuck roast, 2-day ribs, the most delicately cooked fish you can imagine, poultry at 140F/60C which makes it extremely juicy, but still pasteurized, etc. It's really great for these applications.

And the steaks. Oh baby.

It's a little gimmicky but it's way different from boil in the bag, if you have the appropriate control over temperatures.

Wunderdave definitely hit the nail on the head! Nice summation!
~Martin
Unsupervised rebellious radical agrarian experimenter, minimalist penny-pincher, self-reliant homesteader and adventurous cook. Crotchety cantankerous terse curmudgeon, non-conformist and contrarian who questions everything!
DiggingDogFarm
Registered Member

Postby DiggingDogFarm » Wed Dec 18, 2013 5:09 am

GUS wrote:There is a very simple, nice looking Sous-vide with 'nth of a degree accuracy cited for $200 (yes dollars) backed via a kickstarter campaign which was heathily oversubscribed, it's basically a finely tuned impeller driven aquarium type heater construction for up to 6 gallon containers (is that 22ish litres) very nice too,

My only quibble / nark is that if you are an energy miser like me (& why not) then covering the pot & insulationg the sides would be a must do for me, obviously there would be less electricity=heat cycling in order to keep the temperature precisely stable.
a 220v unit will be shipping in March 2014(ish) ..I admire their intent to get the design bang on & not rush out a product they are not 100% happy with.

Good looking enough to keep out rather than stuck away in a cupboard & pot size can be selected according to need, ...personally i'd like to see a wall mount for this.

V.nice

take a look, http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/seattlefoodgeek/sansaire-sous-vide-circulator-for-199

It's hard to tell when the units will ship for sure, they're being sued by Polyscience which may delay shipment for some time. Only God knows how long.
The Anova is, IMHO and the opinion of many others, a much better deal AND currently available! 120v AND 220v.

http://www.seriouseats.com/2013/12/sous ... anova.html

~Martin
Last edited by DiggingDogFarm on Wed Dec 18, 2013 5:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
~Martin
Unsupervised rebellious radical agrarian experimenter, minimalist penny-pincher, self-reliant homesteader and adventurous cook. Crotchety cantankerous terse curmudgeon, non-conformist and contrarian who questions everything!
DiggingDogFarm
Registered Member

Postby DiggingDogFarm » Wed Dec 18, 2013 5:17 am

Dingo wrote:I'm very keen to try this with my slow cooker.

How critical is the 130 number? My temp controller swings +/- 10F. Is that a problem?

Thx

Don't do it.
The sous vide cooking IS precise temperature control.
~Martin
DiggingDogFarm
Registered Member

Postby GUS » Wed Dec 18, 2013 11:01 am

Thanks Martin,

Any info on what they're being sued for precisely? litigation is so commonplace in the U.S. the recent beastie boys music litigation by the injured party who'd already been told "NO" by the remaining two, basically used it (based on one of the guy's previous form to utilise a viral campaign on the cheap for their product (..A/wipes in charge of a toy company no less).

I expect it's an alleged patent infringement would like to see the patents involved, arent they the company who suddenly dropped the price to match & trying to see off the newboy d'ya think?

I like the anova, however I want to teach my 9yr old daughter to cook well not be confused by multiple interfaces, though i'm always a sucker for a USB port for programming upgrades, ongoing support potential of a product via software patches & upgradability so sensible in terms of getting a sale.
Mac's ProQ CSG devotee.
Founder member of "Cheese club" ...it's like "Fight Club" only cheesier

Avatar courtesy of Thad Cox https://twitter.com/LimitedFun http://limitedfun.tumblr.com/
GUS
Registered Member

Postby DiggingDogFarm » Wed Dec 18, 2013 2:26 pm

Yes, it's a patent infringement lawsuit.
It's said that the problem is with the molded housing.
I think it's likely that Sansaire will make changes to rectify the problem.

Here's the lawsuit...
http://www.scribd.com/doc/187917748/Pre ... Modernchef

Here's the patent....
https://www.google.com/patents/US846967 ... CDcQ6AEwAA

The Anova's interface is very easy to use....check out this excellent video.....
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eTrYNEeH03I#t=0

~Martin
~Martin
DiggingDogFarm
Registered Member

Postby quietwatersfarm » Wed Dec 18, 2013 2:54 pm

As I said before, the Anova is unbeatable IMO. Highly recommended.
quietwatersfarm
Registered Member

Postby Wunderdave » Wed Dec 18, 2013 4:08 pm

Back before Anova/Sansaire made some more affordable circulators, I made my own controller from a PID/relay based on commonly available plans.

But it has failed - somehow the temperature readings from the thermocouple are unstable, and I haven't taken the time to drill out my sealed project box to tinker with it some more.

So, if you're considering getting into this it's probably best to buy a UL-certified commercial product...
Wunderdave
Registered Member

Postby DiggingDogFarm » Tue Dec 31, 2013 6:27 pm

I ordered an Anova today......it can't get here fast enough.....can't wait!!!! :D
~Martin
DiggingDogFarm
Registered Member

Postby Jabba » Thu Jan 02, 2014 9:17 am

For NYE I 500g of pork belly with a soy sauce, port & ginger marinade for 10 hours @81degC and it was really good! I served it with some soft bread wraps and a drizzle of the reduced the jelly from the pouch and added a dash of cream- the sauce was probably the most tasty thing I have EVER cooked!

I also did pheasant breasts for an hour @ 64degC and legs for 4 hours @ 82degC served as brushetta (sp?) with a red wine reduction- the pheasent was as moist as a well cooked chicken, not at all dry like it can be.

After the success of both dishes I'm going to build a dedicated SV cooker. A cheap cool box, aquarium pump, reclaimed kettle element, LCD display with a couple of buttons, relay and an Arduino microcontroller and I recon I can have a 14 litre cooker built for less than 40 quid.

Cheers,
Jamie
Jabba
Registered Member

Postby Jabba » Thu Jan 02, 2014 12:12 pm

Here's a few pics:

Our daughter Izzy, wanting to cuddle the brace of pheasants. I'm a rubbish shot, a mate brought them round after the Boxing Day shoot- I must get some bottles of homebrew to him!

Butchered pheasants; one side of one of the birds took the hit and was not worth bothering with.

Vacpacked pork belly and pheasant.
ImageImage

Out of the vacpac pouches.

I didn't get any pictures of the finished off meat, it got a bit busy to take pictures in the kitchen! I put the slices of pork on a baking tray and finished in the oven for 15 mins and pan fried the pheasant with a good dollop of butter.

Cheers,
Jamie
Jabba
Registered Member

Postby wheels » Thu Jan 02, 2014 3:30 pm

Those look fantastic.

I use a 6 litre slow cooker with the addition of a digital controller, it may be an option. It has the advantage of being dual purpose. I've yet to add the aquarium pump.

Phil
wheels
Global Moderator

Postby ped » Thu Jan 02, 2014 4:02 pm

Which digital controller Phil?
ped
Registered Member

Postby wheels » Thu Jan 02, 2014 5:42 pm

I used one of these from Ebay:

I think that a PID one would be better though? Maybe someone who knows about these matters will advise. If you search for Digital Temperature Controller on Ebay you should fine some.

HTH

Phil
wheels
Global Moderator

Postby Jabba » Thu Jan 02, 2014 7:55 pm

I've got a couple of those STC-1000 on-off controllers for my fermenting and beer serving (kegerator) fridges to control the fridge and a tube heater. They're fine for those purposes and are accurate to around a degree but because they are on or off until a certain set value, they tend to overshoot a bit.

PID control is much more intelligent and once you've set the tuning parameters (or have the PID software do an auto-tune) I can get my set-up to be accurate within 0.1°C indefinitely. I hope that helps a bit, I'm not a process control engineer or a programmer but even as a simple ol' soul I've got to grips with programming the Arduino!

Cheers,
Jamie
Jabba
Registered Member

PreviousNext

Return to Chatter