Freezing pork mince

Introductions and chatter

Freezing pork mince

Postby ped » Fri Dec 20, 2013 12:22 pm

I have a very helpful butcher who grinds my meat how I want it, course/fine, lean/fatier, basically, he understands my needs for making salumi and such like, my question is, I know that the pork is VERY fresh, so as opposed to me going to him each time I want some mince do you think it is ok to buy bigger quantities and freeze this very fresh mince or do you think that it is better to work with fresh every time? (I appreciate it is better but you know what I mean). I ask because I very often want to do things spontaneously and it often is not the right time for the butcher (not got carcass in) or it's Sunday
ped
Registered Member

Re: Freezing pork mince

Postby wheels » Fri Dec 20, 2013 1:20 pm

I'd keep a bit in the freezer for 'playing with', but get the bulk of supplies fresh.

Phil
wheels
Global Moderator

Re: Freezing pork mince

Postby johngaltsmotor » Fri Dec 20, 2013 6:46 pm

If I had access I'd go with fresh for the most part, but keep a bit in the freezer for when I didn't have time to plan a trip.
The only reason I freeze most of mine is that I never know if I'll get a bug for fresh or dried products and would rather loose a little by freezing than have to wait for a 30day safety freeze (although if it's all good, reliable pork that may not be a concern for you).
Pigs are magical creatures.... they turn vegetables into BACON!!
johngaltsmotor
Registered Member

Return to Chatter