For the butter makers out there (uk)

Introductions and chatter

For the butter makers out there (uk)

Postby yotmon » Sat Dec 28, 2013 8:50 pm

I called in my local Tesco store late this afternoon and bought 20 x 300ml of 'Extra thick double cream' @ 10p each, plus 2 x 600ml ordinary double cream @ 18p each. So, 7.2 litres of creamy goodness for just £2.36. Hopefully it will make some decent butter in the morning !

Happy hunting.
"Success is going from failure to failure without a loss of enthusiasm." - Sir Winston Churchill
yotmon
Registered Member

Re: For the butter makers out there (uk)

Postby yotmon » Sun Dec 29, 2013 8:22 pm

Sorted the butter this afternoon. What I found was that the 'double' cream was easily poured yet the 'extra thick' cream had to be helped out of the container. I filled the Kenwood chef bowl half way and started to churn and churn and churn. :shock:
The mix was so thick nothing was happening for quite a while, then it decided to 'go thin' like pouring cream and about ten minutes later decided to split into solids and butter milk. This seemed a lot longer process than when I have used ordinary double cream. :( I then checked the carton's contents details and both were exactly the same. I naturally believed that the extra thick cream would have contained more milk solids (fat) than the ordinary double cream, but it appears that all that Tesco have done is whip the cream to make it thicker. This is a bit of a con as far as I'm concerned. It's marketed as 'Extra thick' double cream and not 'whipped' cream which at the end of the day that's all it is. Why are supermarkets allowed to sell goods like this and charge a premium for something that is no different than their base products..... Okay rant over :x , now going to enjoy a home cured ham sandwich to try out the butter - I suppose we can all live like Kings - sometimes :D
"Success is going from failure to failure without a loss of enthusiasm." - Sir Winston Churchill
yotmon
Registered Member

Postby wheels » Sun Dec 29, 2013 11:58 pm

IIRC, they also sell some 'thick cream' that can't be whipped. Whether you can make it into cream, I don't know.

If you hadn't have said, I would have doubted that slightly whipped double cream, as you describe, would hold for the length of time that these products have until 'use by'.

Phil
wheels
Global Moderator

Postby Thewitt » Mon Dec 30, 2013 2:42 am

You would be much better served in making butter to see if there is a local farmer nearby who who be willing to sell you cream. Growing up milking a cow every day and making "skim" milk, butter, cream and cheese, trying to duplicate those from Tesco products would only frustrate me I'm sure.
Thewitt
Registered Member

Postby crustyo44 » Mon Dec 30, 2013 7:55 am

I made some wonderful cultured butter 10 days ago from pouring cream without any additives that had only 1 day on the use by date. Just what I was looking for.
It has a wonderful sourish taste like proper old fashioned farm butter and some great buttermilk to boot.
Cheers,
Jan.
crustyo44
Registered Member

Postby wheels » Mon Dec 30, 2013 3:07 pm

Thewitt wrote:You would be much better served in making butter to see if there is a local farmer nearby who who be willing to sell you cream. Growing up milking a cow every day and making "skim" milk, butter, cream and cheese, trying to duplicate those from Tesco products would only frustrate me I'm sure.

Ah, that would be great. It's unlikely to be an option open to many members. But for those that have the chance, it must be great.

I'm one of those who can get unpasturised milk and cream locally, but don't use it as my wife can't have it for medical reasons. It's not that common in the UK, and the government legislation makes it difficult to obtain as you have to buy it directly from the farm where it is produced.

Phil
wheels
Global Moderator

Return to Chatter