Anyone for a mate? (mah-tay)

Introductions and chatter

Anyone for a mate? (mah-tay)

Postby DelNorte » Thu Jan 09, 2014 6:05 pm

Hola a todos!

I live in Uruguay and am missing good sausages and smoked meats from back home. In my search to solve this problem (built a smoker and needing recipes) I found this place. Although I have smoked meats many moons ago, even back then I never became an expert. Thought I'd dig around here and see what I can learn. Maybe I'll be able to show Uruguayans what a good sausage and other smoker goodies really taste like after cruising around here in the forums. :wink:

I look forward to meeting some you you folks!
Teach me. I will learn.
DelNorte
Registered Member

Re: Anyone for a mate? (mah-tay)

Postby quietwatersfarm » Thu Jan 09, 2014 7:11 pm

Welcome! hard to find good Mate here, just dry and flavourless stuff in healthfood shops. Miss it
quietwatersfarm
Registered Member

Postby DelNorte » Thu Jan 09, 2014 8:53 pm

quietwatersfarm wrote:Welcome! hard to find good Mate here, just dry and flavourless stuff in healthfood shops. Miss it

Glad to meet you quietwaters!

You are familiar with mate!?... how so? - yes, it's probably quite old and the least favorable stuff sent there.
Teach me. I will learn.
DelNorte
Registered Member

Postby DelNorte » Thu Jan 09, 2014 9:02 pm

Well we just did our first test run with the fridge conversion smoker. Temps rose very quickly to 190F and then we fiddled a bit to see if we could lower the temp to 170F (since I do not have access yet to any cure powders) and maintain it. We had success with that also.

Then we decided to crank it up and see how hot it would go. The temp easily went to 230F and were able to maintain it there abouts with the smoke stack vent.

I'd say we had a successful test run and I'm heading for the butcher to get some meat to marinate jerky for the first smoking test. Seems like a good test subject. My mouth is watering thinking about it :!: :drool:

Now where to find a good jerky recipe here......... :?:
Teach me. I will learn.
DelNorte
Registered Member

Postby quietwatersfarm » Thu Jan 09, 2014 11:33 pm

DelNorte wrote:

You are familiar with mate!?... how so? - yes, it's probably quite old and the least favorable stuff sent there.

Friends from the wrong side of the river! (in Rosario and Buenos Aires) :)
quietwatersfarm
Registered Member

Postby Dogfish » Fri Jan 10, 2014 12:27 am

My wife and her family are from south Brazil; the gauchos bring mate up. Good stuff for steady drinking with no massive kick.

There were a fair amount of Mennonites where I lived in Alberta that came up from Montevideo a while back; that was always interesting: hearing them switch between Spanish, low German, and English.

How cold does it get in Uruguay?
Chip the glasses and crack the plates!
Dogfish
Registered Member

Postby wheels » Fri Jan 10, 2014 1:00 am

Now, i know I've heard of this before, but if you lot think that I'm going to 'Google' Mate, or derivitives of the word, you've got another think coming! I've got caught out with that one before!

So, come on, let's have an explanation for us infidels!

Phil :lol: :lol: :lol:
wheels
Global Moderator

Postby BriCan » Fri Jan 10, 2014 5:11 am

wheels wrote:Now, i know I've heard of this before, but if you lot think that I'm going to 'Google' Mate, or derivitives of the word, you've got another think coming! I've got caught out with that one before!

Oh ye ov little faith :lol: :lol: :lol:
But what do I know
BriCan
Registered Member

Postby Dogfish » Fri Jan 10, 2014 5:28 am

Just throw 'yerba' in front of it. Or chimarroa.
Chip the glasses and crack the plates!
Dogfish
Registered Member

Postby DelNorte » Fri Jan 10, 2014 10:20 am

wheels wrote:Now, i know I've heard of this before, but if you lot think that I'm going to 'Google' Mate, or derivitives of the word, you've got another think coming! I've got caught out with that one before!

So, come on, let's have an explanation for us infidels!

Phil :lol: :lol: :lol:

Per the suggestion by Dogfish to do a search putting "yerba" in front of "mate", thought I'd clue you in so you know it's not a setup :wink: - It is well known as the source of the beverage called mate, Chimarrão, Tererê (or Tereré) and other variations, traditionally consumed in subtropical South America, particularly northeastern Argentina, Bolivia, southern Brazil, Uruguay and Paraguay. It was first used and cultivated by the Guaraní people and in some Tupí communities in southern Brazil, prior to the European colonization. It was scientifically classified by the Swiss botanist Moses Bertoni, who settled in Paraguay in 1895.

The act of drinking and the drink are referred to as "mate" here in Uruguay. Yerba is the stuff you put in the drink. People drink it hear like tea or coffee. Nope, I'm wrong. They drink more and all day long. Instead of a tea and coffee isle in the supermarket, there is a yerba isle. It basically looks like fine ground hay put in a "cup" and then hot water is poured periodically over it, the person then drinking it through a bombilla (straw). The tastes differ, just like coffee and tea, depending upon blend. Some is very strong, others nice and soft, and they add things like gingko, mint and a multitude of other ingredients. Ain't marketing great! It's hard to generalize a taste, because of all of these additives, but what we drink is like a cross between a green tea and, well hay. :lol:

Image Here's a link for a more in depth read.http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yerba_mate
Teach me. I will learn.
DelNorte
Registered Member

Postby DelNorte » Fri Jan 10, 2014 10:33 am

quietwatersfarm wrote:
DelNorte wrote:

Friends from the wrong side of the river! (in Rosario and Buenos Aires) :)

Funny one, because the whole of Uruguay's border is a river! Minus the ocean side, of course.

Dogfish wrote:My wife and her family are from south Brazil; the gauchos bring mate up. Good stuff for steady drinking with no massive kick.

There were a fair amount of Mennonites where I lived in Alberta that came up from Montevideo a while back; that was always interesting: hearing them switch between Spanish, low German, and English.

How cold does it get in Uruguay?

Agree about the steady drinking thing. They do make yerba blends with a good kick though.

Hmm, I've never noticed Mennonites here. I do see a lot of Mormon missionary kids though. We joke around all the time about making mistakes of speaking both Spanish and English at the same time - Spanglish - so what could we call the Spanish, German and English combo?... Ok, can't have that order or it just sounds wrong with what came to mind! :oops:

I've not literally paid attention to the temps by looking at a thermometer during the winters, but I can safely say it gets just above freezing. I've seen frost on the roofs a few times, nothing more. Because of the wind and humidity from the ocean, it feels much colder than it is at times. I'm from Michigan and it "feels" the same during the winter, minus the snow.
Teach me. I will learn.
DelNorte
Registered Member

Postby wheels » Fri Jan 10, 2014 1:29 pm

Many thanks for the explanation, I thought that it had just slipped my memory, but this is totally new to me.

Phil
wheels
Global Moderator

Postby saucisson » Mon Jan 13, 2014 5:00 pm

I drink it :)

I get this stuff http://urushop.co.uk/en/bio-mate-che-or ... tQblNJdW_g

can't find the supplier I usually buy from just at the moment.
Curing is not an exact science... So it's not a sin to bin.

Great hams, from little acorns grow...
saucisson
Site Admin

Postby wheels » Mon Jan 13, 2014 5:37 pm

Thanks Dave.

Phil
wheels
Global Moderator

Return to Chatter