Supaphos ?

Introductions and chatter

Supaphos ?

Postby sundodger » Wed Jan 15, 2014 11:53 am

Not sure if this has been raised before? Not previously used supaphos in sausages, but having read several posts, some shy away & others state that it really does make a difference!
Decided to do a batch using supaphos & then do a back to back tasting with another batch of the same, only without. Now the question is - It says to use the supaphos at a rate of 0.8% of the finished product ie 8 gramms per kilo of meat. This however is not correct for the finished product, as obviously the finished product has rusk, water & season included! What are the opinions therefore of those having used supaphos - Which quantity would you base the calculation on ?
Nostalgia is not what it used to be !
sundodger
Registered Member

Re: Supaphos ?

Postby wheels » Wed Jan 15, 2014 5:25 pm

I'm sure that this has been raised (and answered before), so a search might turn something up.

In the meantime, I'd use 0.8% of the meat content.

HTH

Phil
wheels
Global Moderator

Postby sundodger » Fri Jan 17, 2014 6:35 pm

All done - Made a batch of plain pork sausage using my usual mix, but added supaphos at the rate of 8 grms/kg.
This is with rusk added at 120grms/kg of meat & water at 150% the amount of rusk - Supaphos was added to the water prior to mixing in.
Mixing was by hand & mix felt stickier than usual & was softer on completion. Filling the casings in the hand cranked stuffer felt easier (or so the other half reckoned!)
Tested some today - They were cooked in a frying pan on medium heat, with just a little oil added to the pan.
When cooked the sausages were a nice brown all over & when cut had a very solid texture, but not dry at all. I normally gring my pork with the coarse plate twice & normally have a fairly open texture to the sausage when cut, these were fully combined & solid. In conclusion, a very nice sausage & with no leakage of liquid/fat into the pan on cooking & with a very nice overall taste.
Nostalgia is not what it used to be !
sundodger
Registered Member

Postby TJ Buffalo » Sun Jan 19, 2014 10:37 pm

That's great that they turned out tasty. The supaphos is used at 8g/kg of meat weight, it acts as a water binder and emulsifier, helps keep liquid in the sausage.
TJ Buffalo
Global Moderator

Return to Chatter