Projects for the new year

Introductions and chatter

Projects for the new year

Postby Josh » Wed Jan 04, 2006 4:54 pm

1) New mincer on the way from Franco hopefully soon along with a 600mm x 1200mm steel catering work surface so looking forward to spending my weekends making sausages again.

2) I may have to pop down the hardware store and get a couple of bins and make one of the smokers mentioned on the curing forum as I've loads of cure left and would like to smoke the bacon once it's cured.

3) Going to get a small greenhouse on the roof terrace (is the first time I've had my own outside space for about 6 years) and want to grow some toms and veg to go with all my meat products.

What sausage making, meat curing or other culinary adventures have people got planned for 2006?
Josh
Registered Member

Postby aris » Wed Jan 04, 2006 6:32 pm

You're going to smoke food on a roof terrace? I hope you have like minded neighbors! :-)
aris
Site Admin

Postby chase » Wed Jan 04, 2006 7:25 pm

Hia, I have just bought a FW 2684 and im looking to make various burgers / sausages from rabbit. I have also orderd a side of free range pork which im planning to make sausage from the shoulder and bacon from the belly. I cant wait to start experimenting. Any one else made sausage from rabbit?
chase
Registered Member

Postby Paul Kribs » Wed Jan 04, 2006 8:28 pm

chase

Although I haven't made rabbit sausages, I have eaten plenty of rabbits and they are very lean. As you are getting a side of pork it might be an idea to reserve some of the back fat to use in the rabbit sausages, they will definitely need it.

Regards, Paul Kribs
Paul Kribs
Registered Member

Postby chase » Wed Jan 04, 2006 8:33 pm

Cheers Paul, I was thinking may be 80% rabbit 20% fatty pork with a bit of sage and onion
chase
Registered Member

Postby Josh » Thu Jan 05, 2006 12:20 pm

aris wrote:You're going to smoke food on a roof terrace? I hope you have like minded neighbors! :-)

Yep. I'm not wasting the opportunity of having somewhere outside.

We're one of the highest buildings around too so it shouldn't be too bad.

I thought they'd like the smell of the meat smoking too. ;)
Josh
Registered Member

Postby Josh » Thu Jan 05, 2006 12:22 pm

chase wrote:Hia, I have just bought a FW 2684

Same here. Mine just turned up this morning so I can see a session of sausage making this weekend as there's a couple of kilo of pork and some fat in my freezer.
Josh
Registered Member

Postby welsh wizard » Thu Jan 05, 2006 5:14 pm

Hi Josh and Chase

Just a little word to the wize :wink: make sure you put the mincer blade in the right way around or you will be mincing or should I say slushing all night!

I know I was that mincer...........

Cheers WW
welsh wizard
Registered Member

Postby chase » Thu Jan 05, 2006 6:19 pm

Will bear that in mind Welsh Wizard, Cheers.
chase
Registered Member

Postby hmmm sausages » Sun Jan 08, 2006 4:03 pm

I put my mincer blade in the wrong way round on my "panther" machine, its broke the cog straight away, luckily it comes with a spare. I am now going back to that supplier to stock up on these items incase it spoils my sausage making fun!!!

My Plans for 2006 are to make loads of sausages and start making up my own recipes too!

I also want to make some black puddings (kit will be ordered from sausagemaking.org soon) and do some meat curing. hmmm home made bacon <drools>
hmmm sausages
Registered Member

Postby roseway » Sun Jan 08, 2006 6:42 pm

hmmm sausages wrote:My Plans for 2006 are to make loads of sausages and start making up my own recipes too!

Those are my plans too. However, as I live on my own, in order to get through sufficient quantity I'm going to have to give a lot to friends and neighbours. I anticipate becoming very popular round here. :)

Eric
roseway
Registered Member

Return to Chatter