New cures for hams from Franco site

Introductions and chatter

New cures for hams from Franco site

Postby Ken Boy » Fri Jan 06, 2006 9:48 pm

Hi EveryBody

Happy New Year !!
Problem ----- Help please !!!!

Honey roast ham cure is This a dry salt cure or is it a wet cure What amount of cure should one use per kilo or what ratio to water should I use
possible will have the same problem with the Wilshire cure no infomation sent with product any help would be welcome :D :D :D :D
Ken boy
Ken Boy
Registered Member

Postby Paul Kribs » Sat Jan 07, 2006 9:14 am

Ken Boy

I am surprised that you recieved no instructions with your brine cure. I tried the Old English brine cure for boiled ham when Franco was just starting to sell it.. it was the only one available at the time. The results on a boned leg of pork were very nice indeed. At the time there was a recipe posted in the appropriate section of the main site. It had been enetered with a slight discrepency but after contacting Franco the recipe ended up:

Old English Boiled Ham

1 kg of brine mix
5.5 litres of water
20 grammes of chopped juniper berries
10 grammes of dried cloves
1.5 kg boneless leg of pork

method

1. stir the ingredients together until dissolved in the water.
2. prick pork with a sharp implement to help the brine penetrate.
3. place pork in brine for 2 weeks.
4. place the pork in a large pan of water and simmer gently for 3 hours.

I can only 'assume' the same quantities of water, brine mix and pork would apply to the cures you have but it may pay you to contact sausagemaking.org for confirmation before commencing. phone is 01204 433523.
Obviously you cooking method would differ as you would remove the skin after boiling, and glaze with honey and/or brown sugar and roast accordingly.

Regards, Paul Kribs
Paul Kribs
Registered Member

re- Ham cures

Postby Ken Boy » Sun Jan 08, 2006 7:26 pm

Hi Paul
Thanks for the infomation I have contacted franco by e-mail to ask for directions on using these new cures
I Have noted in the recipe on the boiled ham you used a 1kg of brine mix would this be correct for 1 1/2 kilo leg joint
:roll: :roll: :roll: :!: :!: :!:
Ken boy
Ken Boy
Registered Member

Postby Paul Kribs » Sun Jan 08, 2006 8:44 pm

Ken Boy

I recall that my boned rolled leg was a fair bit larger than that, but can't remember exactly how big and my notes appear to have gone west. There is discussion along similar lines on another thread
http://forum.sausagemaking.org/viewtopic.php?t=1190&highlight=wiltshire

I did use a syringe and canula to pump the brine in but can't give you details as I say can't locate my notes.. they are not in the usual place with my recipes. I took the drawer out and all I found was an old Blackheath Tandoori takeaway menu. I have looked on some previous threads but didn't mention the weight on them. You can see a picture of my ham curing in the fridge on this thread. The container is 11"x9"x9" and it came up almost to the top and was about 7" diameter.. not much help I know.
http://forum.sausagemaking.org/viewtopic.php?t=977&start=15

The ham turned out fine though.

Regards, Paul Kribs
Paul Kribs
Registered Member

Re- Cures From Franco

Postby Ken Boy » Mon Jan 09, 2006 9:56 pm

Hi Paul
Have to day received infomation from franco on use of new cures The only thing I am not sure about is the Amount of time that I should keep the ham in the Brine mixture I was thinking in the region of 10 days for a 1kig joint giving the joint a good seeing too with a sharp object to let the brine to its work :wink: let us know what you think!!! :roll:
Ken boy
Ken Boy
Registered Member

Postby Paul Kribs » Mon Jan 09, 2006 10:35 pm

Ken Boy

Give it the 14 days, it should be fine... mine was good.

Regards, Paul Kribs
Paul Kribs
Registered Member

re-cures

Postby Ken Boy » Tue Jan 10, 2006 9:19 am

Thanks for your help Paul
:lol: :lol: :lol: Will Let you How It turns out!!!!!
Ken boy
Ken Boy
Registered Member

Return to Chatter