Chitterling casings

Introductions and chatter

Chitterling casings

Postby ped » Fri Apr 04, 2014 11:43 am

Recently bought some chitterling casings to do some salame, they're the ideal size, but whilst giving them a good wash I found that there is a lot of fat still on the internal surface of the casing. Firstly I tried picking individual bits off but this was laborious and time consuming then I found that I could pull pretty much all of the fat off if I peeled a layer of membrane off, but this weakened the casing to the extent that when filling, on a couple of occasions the case broke!!, so my question to you is, do you think it would be more sensible to just turn them inside out so the fat is on the outside and then case the meat?
ped
Registered Member

Re: Chitterling casings

Postby BriCan » Fri Apr 04, 2014 2:53 pm

I would myself .... if that's any help
But what do I know
BriCan
Registered Member

Postby Tasso » Sun Apr 06, 2014 3:35 am

If the chitlins don't work out for your salami, you could just cook them up and eat them, or you could try making the French andouilette sausages. Andouilette sausage is said to be an acquired taste, and to have an aroma that many people find offensive. Even so, I hope to try andouilette someday, at least once.
Tasso
Registered Member

Postby kimgary » Wed Apr 16, 2014 7:26 pm

was bought up on chitterlings from Cliffes butchers in Willenhall which was then in staffordshire, now west midlands, bag of them every saturday, but then again we had brains on toast served up to us also.
Never did me any harm, still addicted to sausages etc, only thing I cant eat is hearts, remember my mom taking the aortas out etc, she could have been a surgeon bless her, happy days! :)

Regards

Gary.
My biggest fear in life is that when I die my wife sells all my stuff for what I told her I paid for it!!
kimgary
Registered Member

Return to Chatter