White lines on my sausages - is it a problem?

Introductions and chatter

White lines on my sausages - is it a problem?

Postby Josh » Mon Jan 09, 2006 8:28 am

I made some sausages yesterday for the first time in a while and after stuffing noticed white lines all over them. They're like the lines you see in the skins on haggises, I've just never seen them on sausages before.

Is it a problem? I've had the skins for a while so could this be the cause? Are they safe to eat?

Hopefully this image doesn't slow you down too much.

Josh
Registered Member

Postby Paul Kribs » Mon Jan 09, 2006 9:09 am

Josh

Don't worry about the white lines on the casings, this is just the structure of natural casings. They are a natural product and all are slightly different. I have a neighbour who had only ever eaten supermarket sausages once ask me why all my sausages have a slight bend in them.. I told him they are not straight because the world has yet to find a pig that's a hundred yards long with straight intestines.. that then called for discussion on different types of casings.

Regards, Paul Kribs
Paul Kribs
Registered Member

Postby Josh » Mon Jan 09, 2006 9:13 am

Cheers Paul.

With a kilo of pork in there I'd have eaten them anyway but my mind will be at rest now. Like I said I've seen the lines on haggis but never noticed them on sausages either bought or made by myself so wasn't sure if it was a product of the skins' age (they're a few months old).
Josh
Registered Member

Return to Chatter