Dogfish

Introductions and chatter

Dogfish

Postby Dogfish » Tue Jun 17, 2014 10:01 pm

Greetings after a few months!

Many of us are along the northern oceans -- Pacific and Atlantic -- and so we've got spurdog (dogfish) sharks in our water. If any of you are familiar with sharks, you'll know they hold themselves in the water column via a urea osmosis system that can make them rank tasting. My question is, do any of you have any tips or tricks for making them tasty? You U.K. guys would have them called Rock Salmon.

I've discovered that bleeding them upon catch works quite well but I'm shooting for some other ideas, as they're the main fish around here. I imagine shark would be about the same thing.
Chip the glasses and crack the plates!
Dogfish
Registered Member

Re: Dogfish

Postby ped » Wed Jun 18, 2014 5:19 am

ped
Registered Member

Postby wheels » Wed Jun 18, 2014 2:13 pm

Don't chip shops sell "Rock and Chips" down your way Ped?

Phil
wheels
Global Moderator

Postby ped » Wed Jun 18, 2014 4:32 pm

Do you know, I don't think they do ??, must check next time I go in for my cod n chips,with Mushy peas yum :drool:
ped
Registered Member

Postby onewheeler » Wed Jun 18, 2014 4:44 pm

Haven't seen "rock salmon" in the chippy for years, nor on the fishmonger's slab. It pops up occasionally in French poissoneries.

I belive spurdog is an endangered species in UK waters. Used to be common as muck.

Martin/
onewheeler
Registered Member

Postby Dogfish » Wed Jun 18, 2014 4:55 pm

Thanks for those links -- I'll try the ideas out. Picked up a couple of three footers on a little trout rod the other day and it was a lot of fun. Nobody eats them around here.
Chip the glasses and crack the plates!
Dogfish
Registered Member

Postby yotmon » Wed Jun 18, 2014 10:32 pm

onewheeler wrote:
I belive spurdog is an endangered species in UK waters. Used to be common as muck.

Martin/

'Currently the spurdog are a protected species and cannot be landed ashore by commercial or recreational vessels. '

Quite sad the decline of the spurdog due to over fishing. A friend of mine used to go wreck fishing off Anglesey for large Pollock and if they hit into Spurdog they would have to move to another mark, otherwise their baits would never get through the vast shoals.
"Success is going from failure to failure without a loss of enthusiasm." - Sir Winston Churchill
yotmon
Registered Member

Postby wheels » Wed Jun 18, 2014 11:16 pm

I didn't realise this: at one time "Rock and chips" was common-place in London chip-shops.

Phil
wheels
Global Moderator

Return to Chatter