to refrigerate or not to refrigerate, that is the question

Introductions and chatter

to refrigerate or not to refrigerate, that is the question

Postby welsh wizard » Tue Nov 18, 2014 4:17 pm

I never used to put sauce, pickles, mustard, eggs, jam, marmalade, chutney, redcurrant jelly...and on and on, into the fridge. However now almost without exception all packaging states "refrigerate after opening"" WHY??????? I understand meat, cream, milk etc has to go in but why everything else?

Health and safety gone mad I expect. I have lost count the EHO have told me to put eggs in the fridge one year, not to put them in the fridge the next year, back in the fridge the year after agggggggggggggggggh

Go on help out a grumpy old man.........

Cheers WW (sat in the fridge of course)
Only those who go too far know how far they can go TSE
welsh wizard
Registered Member

Re: to refrigerate or not to refrigerate, that is the questi

Postby johngaltsmotor » Tue Nov 18, 2014 5:12 pm

I would assume it's because there are too many lawyers with too much free time nowadays. Most things will last longer in the refrigerator so it covers them from complaints. If you get sick because you ate mayonnaise that was on the counter for a month they can blame it on you not following the instructions. Is it truly necessary? No, but it lets them put the blame on you for not refrigerating your whole pantry.
I put homemade sauces in the refrigerator simply because I limit the use of salt and don't use other preservatives. The cheap stuff I buy at the store I'm not as concerned if I have to replace it ;)
Pigs are magical creatures.... they turn vegetables into BACON!!
johngaltsmotor
Registered Member

Postby welsh wizard » Tue Nov 18, 2014 5:19 pm

Alas I think you are right John................
Only those who go too far know how far they can go TSE
welsh wizard
Registered Member

Postby wheels » Tue Nov 18, 2014 5:41 pm

I notice a colour change in Tomato sauces if I don't put them in the fridge, whereas I never used to. I wonder whether the salt level's been reduced, or the vinegar's not as strong as it used to be?

They would both be sensible reasons, but I fear that you two are correct when you say that it's just people covering their backsides.

Phil
wheels
Global Moderator

Return to Chatter