Flies, probably an old subject but is it a problem?

Introductions and chatter

Flies, probably an old subject but is it a problem?

Postby Fingers » Mon Mar 14, 2016 6:16 pm

The garage is now becoming quite busy with 3 batches of salami, 3 pancetta and a small coppa. The good white mold on the 4 week old salami is starting to spread to the newer salami with some vigour. Maybe the slight lift in temp here has encouraged a spawn. All seems quite good, to my beginners eye.

BUT! I noticed a midge sitting on my 7 day old salami, bold as brass if you please, are flys and other airborne insects going to become a problem? I thought the process of curing would naturally put off insects, otherwise how would anyone anywhere be able to cure anything. My pancetta and coppa are covered in pepper, chilli and paprika, I would think that might ward off any egg laying. But the salami?

This is the Northeast of England BTW

Fingers
Registered Member

Re: Flies, probably an old subject but is it a problem?

Postby wheels » Mon Mar 14, 2016 8:56 pm

I agree with Brican's comments on the other forum where you posted this.

Phil
wheels
Global Moderator

Postby BriCan » Wed Mar 16, 2016 5:18 am

Fingers wrote:The garage is now becoming quite busy with 3 batches of salami, 3 pancetta and a small coppa. The good white mold on the 4 week old salami is starting to spread to the newer salami with some vigour. Maybe the slight lift in temp here has encouraged a spawn. All seems quite good, to my beginners eye.

BUT! I noticed a midge sitting on my 7 day old salami, bold as brass if you please, are flys and other airborne insects going to become a problem?

I have already said it once but I will say it again --- you have in a sense decaying meat (yes I know it is cured :) ) but until it has dried down you are going to have problems that could potentially create really bad things -- think hospital :(

I thought the process of curing would naturally put off insects,

A misconception that most/all newbies to curing think off

otherwise how would anyone anywhere be able to cure anything.

Not trying to be a orses arse but anyone taking the road to curing needs to do some serious homework fist before stepping off the curb --- most drying is done in "well" ventilated space -- temperature and humidity in these places are totally different than the North of England

My pancetta and coppa are covered in pepper, chilli and paprika, I would think that might ward off any egg laying. But the salami?

Everyone of the tasty items you have hanging in the garage are susceptible to any airborne insects as well as the crawling ones -- you need to build/make a curing box/frame that you cover with bug screen

This is the Northeast of England BTW

I used to live in the Northwest .... on the coast :)

What I have told you is true and it is not meant as a put down .. far from it ... it is trying to keep you safe -- a lot on the forum know my background but to let you know I do this for a living and have been for 50 plus years
But what do I know
BriCan
Registered Member

Postby yotmon » Thu Mar 17, 2016 2:35 pm

Slightly off topic, has anyone noticed a massive decrease in insects. When was the last time you cleared your windscreen or car radiator of dead 'bugs' - can't remember the last time. Hope it's not all the pesticides being sprayed will-nilly.
"Success is going from failure to failure without a loss of enthusiasm." - Sir Winston Churchill
yotmon
Registered Member

Return to Chatter