Mold confussion!!?? is there only one good sort?

Introductions and chatter

Mold confussion!!?? is there only one good sort?

Postby Fingers » Wed Mar 23, 2016 2:27 pm

So now mold is growing on my goods, both pancetta and salami's. White powdery from where I wiped on from my shop bought salami, this nice powdery mold has since populated a batch of salami I made without a starter culture and is the only mold showing on it, great. As here.

My next batch of salami made with a starter culture hung next to the others is also starting to show mold, a different type however, white spots with some spots having a light blueygreen centre. The powdery mold has not deemed that batch a nice home?! I have since bought another salami and tried to cultivate the mold by soaking the skin in warm water with a spoon of dextrose for 20 hours. Wiped off the spots of mold with the light blueygreen center and sprayed them down with my "good" mold spray, time will tell.

My Pancetta which has now been hanging for 16 days wraped in a muslin layer and not touched by my shop bought mold is growing mold spots, but the sort with a blueygreen center it looks like. I am unsure as to leave of wipe as wiping the whole thing would remove my coating of seasoning and it smells so good!
I am tempted to remove just the green spots from it and then spray with my mold culture if it works that is, I will find out in a few days I guess if the mold culture is taken.

To add to the confusion of it all heres what you find searching for mold, good or bad.!

To read here, BAD kind

http://waterinfood.com/20...d-the-bad-kind/

To read here same looking mold is GOOD kind, a shop selling to the public.

https://forums.egullet.org/topic/125619 ... -sausages/

Like wise also here, does this blueygreen mold look like bad mold?

https://delizieitineranti.wordpress.com/2013/03/
Fingers
Registered Member

Re: Mold confussion!!?? is there only one good sort?

Postby wheels » Wed Mar 23, 2016 2:54 pm

Phil's quick guide to mould:

Fuzzy moulds can be bad. White moulds are generally OK. Many black moulds are bad - some very, very bad. Grey/green could be good/could be bad.

Mould on casing = better than mould on meat. It often doesn't penetrate the product (if you're lucky!).

Mould in quality deli, or Italian/Spanish cave has shown over generations that it's not bad mould - mould in a garage in (insert placename) - not so!

Phil
wheels
Global Moderator

Postby Fingers » Wed Mar 23, 2016 5:49 pm

Cheers Phil

I've wiped the spots off the pancetta with red wine vinegar, then sprayed it with my mold culture made from a shop bought salami which has the good white stuff and has worked on the salami.

OR I at least think has worked (pic 1) to me this looks like the desired good mold we are all after?
Fingers
Registered Member

Postby wheels » Wed Mar 23, 2016 8:11 pm

From what I can see, the ones in the first picture look fine. :D
wheels
Global Moderator

Postby wheels » Fri Mar 25, 2016 12:12 pm

I've accidentally deleted a post by Brican whilst quoting sections of it. :oops: :oops:

Hopefully he will re-post as he raises questions as to the accuracy of my summation of the mould situation that I feel would be good to debate. As I say, hopefully he will re-post. If he doesn't I will try to 'construct' the issues he raised.

I have PM'd my apologies to him.

Phil
wheels
Global Moderator

Postby Swing Swang » Fri Mar 25, 2016 3:24 pm

wheels wrote:...of the mould situation that I feel would be good to debate
Phil

The following comments may stoke the mold polemic:

"Molds, often accompanied by yeasts are beneficial; they do not produce toxin when growing on proteins"

"The penicillia are, in nature, wood decaying molds. Their ability to digest cellulose can have a destructive effect on fibrous casings"

"I have seen salami, kept too humid, with the casing disappearing and the mold transferring directly to the meat"

"In Italy, I have tasted rustic salami...covered with black mold. They were fantastic, incredibly tasty. Here [USA] they would have been thrown away"

Excerpts from pp135-136, "Charcutier. Salumiere. Wurstmeister" - Francois Paul-Armand Vecchio
Swing Swang
Registered Member

Postby BriCan » Fri Mar 25, 2016 4:21 pm

wheels wrote:I've accidentally deleted a post by Brican whilst quoting sections of it. :oops: :oops:

Hopefully he will re-post as he raises questions as to the accuracy of my summation of the mould situation that I feel would be good to debate. As I say, hopefully he will re-post. If he doesn't I will try to 'construct' the issues he raised.

I have PM'd my apologies to him.

Phil

Later my friend -- just off to work :)
But what do I know
BriCan
Registered Member

Return to Chatter