sausage debauchery on facebook

Introductions and chatter

sausage debauchery on facebook

Postby moldy meat » Mon May 16, 2016 8:47 pm

is anyone here aware of this group? there are a lot of great people over there. here is a great convo about automating a curing chamber with a raspberry pi computer.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sausage ... 4133951677

MM
moldy meat
Registered Member
 
Posts: 44
Joined: Sun Mar 27, 2016 9:01 pm
Location: Pacific Northwest

Re: sausage debauchery on facebook

Postby wheels » Tue May 17, 2016 1:26 pm

It's a fantastic thread: I just wish I understood it. :cry:

Phil
User avatar
wheels
Global Moderator
 
Posts: 12177
Joined: Sat Sep 02, 2006 4:29 pm
Location: Leicestershire, UK

Re: sausage debauchery on facebook

Postby moldy meat » Tue May 17, 2016 11:37 pm

wheels wrote:It's a fantastic thread: I just wish I understood it. :cry:

Phil


it isn't hard, in fact there are a lot of tutorials out there to learn from, and a lot of people have already done most of the work. when i can afford to, i am going to fully automate my chamber. it will have temp and humidity control as well as condition logging and weight monitoring of individual sausages with target weight alarm. all of which will be accessible form my mobile phone. i will do a full write up when i get it done.

MM
moldy meat
Registered Member
 
Posts: 44
Joined: Sun Mar 27, 2016 9:01 pm
Location: Pacific Northwest

Re: sausage debauchery on facebook

Postby wheels » Wed May 18, 2016 3:11 pm

Many thanks. I guess I'd call my set up semi-automatic at present. It'll run for a few weeks without intervention, but altering the temp or humidity means resetting the thermostat/hygrostats. It'd be nice to be able to program the changes in from the computer. That said, I do so little nowadays that it's hardly worth it.

Phil
User avatar
wheels
Global Moderator
 
Posts: 12177
Joined: Sat Sep 02, 2006 4:29 pm
Location: Leicestershire, UK

Re: sausage debauchery on facebook

Postby BriCan » Thu May 19, 2016 2:23 am

moldy meat wrote:is anyone here aware of this group? there are a lot of great people over there.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sausage ... 4133951677

MM


Just to let you know that there is another awesome group on Facebook that a few of the members from here are a part of

You might like to check it out as well - a heck of a lot of talented people there that are willing to share recipes/procedures as well as help people along :)

https://www.facebook.com/groups/thesaltcuredpig/
But what do I know
User avatar
BriCan
Registered Member
 
Posts: 2190
Joined: Wed Apr 07, 2010 12:07 am
Location: West Coast of Canada

Re: sausage debauchery on facebook

Postby BriCan » Thu May 19, 2016 2:27 am

moldy meat wrote:
it isn't hard, in fact there are a lot of tutorials out there to learn from, and a lot of people have already done most of the work. when i can afford to, i am going to fully automate my chamber. it will have temp and humidity control as well as condition logging and weight monitoring of individual sausages with target weight alarm. all of which will be accessible form my mobile phone. i will do a full write up when i get it done.

MM


Sometimes "old school" is better -- not knocking the new technology, but it all comes down to flavour profile ;)
But what do I know
User avatar
BriCan
Registered Member
 
Posts: 2190
Joined: Wed Apr 07, 2010 12:07 am
Location: West Coast of Canada

Re: sausage debauchery on facebook

Postby wheels » Thu May 19, 2016 11:58 am

Brican wrote:Just to let you know that there is another awesome group on Facebook that a few of the members from here are a part of

You might like to check it out as well - a heck of a lot of talented people there that are willing to share recipes/procedures as well as help people along :)

https://www.facebook.com/groups/thesaltcuredpig/


SCP's a great group. It's far less 'gladiatorial' than Sausage Debauchery and has fantastic moderators. :wink:

Phil
User avatar
wheels
Global Moderator
 
Posts: 12177
Joined: Sat Sep 02, 2006 4:29 pm
Location: Leicestershire, UK

Re: sausage debauchery on facebook

Postby moldy meat » Thu May 19, 2016 1:27 pm

BriCan wrote:
moldy meat wrote:
it isn't hard, in fact there are a lot of tutorials out there to learn from, and a lot of people have already done most of the work. when i can afford to, i am going to fully automate my chamber. it will have temp and humidity control as well as condition logging and weight monitoring of individual sausages with target weight alarm. all of which will be accessible form my mobile phone. i will do a full write up when i get it done.

MM


Sometimes "old school" is better -- not knocking the new technology, but it all comes down to flavour profile ;)


my main interest for automation, is to have data logging so i can trouble shoot any problems that may arise. or, more easily recreate my successes.

MM
moldy meat
Registered Member
 
Posts: 44
Joined: Sun Mar 27, 2016 9:01 pm
Location: Pacific Northwest

Re: sausage debauchery on facebook

Postby moldy meat » Thu May 19, 2016 1:28 pm

BriCan wrote:
moldy meat wrote:is anyone here aware of this group? there are a lot of great people over there.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sausage ... 4133951677

MM


Just to let you know that there is another awesome group on Facebook that a few of the members from here are a part of

You might like to check it out as well - a heck of a lot of talented people there that are willing to share recipes/procedures as well as help people along :)

https://www.facebook.com/groups/thesaltcuredpig/


checking them out now.

MM
moldy meat
Registered Member
 
Posts: 44
Joined: Sun Mar 27, 2016 9:01 pm
Location: Pacific Northwest

Re: sausage debauchery on facebook

Postby ped » Fri May 20, 2016 9:55 pm

MM, love the enthusiasm, could I recommend that you get a few projects (using a regular curing/fermenting/drying/maturation process) under your belt before you get into the high tech stuff, this is a process which appreciates a hands on approach, there will be plenty of time in the future to tweak and refine, perhaps consider, unless you are intending to produce on a relatively high volume commercial basis that as a hobbyist there really is no need for it, unless you just don't have time to monitor things yourself?. Saying all that, I am probably a little older than you? and take a more relaxed long term approach to things (though the tech won't necessarily speed things up!)....just sayin ;)
ped
Registered Member
 
Posts: 386
Joined: Fri May 08, 2009 11:03 am
Location: Kent

Re: sausage debauchery on facebook

Postby BriCan » Sat May 21, 2016 4:00 am

ped wrote:MM, love the enthusiasm, unless you just don't have time to monitor things yourself?. Saying all that, I am probably a little older than you? and take a more relaxed long term approach to things (though the tech won't necessarily speed things up!)....just sayin ;)


A relaxed long term approach is always good ;) being a small commercial producer I always strive for the long term as this "always" produces a better flavour profile IMMHO

Salame's take me an average of six months at the earliest most likely 12 months ... whole muscles about eighteen months

The reason for this is because my temperatures are between 4 to 5 degrees C with humidity between 70% to 80%

As said; the way I do things (no special equipment, just a walk-in cooler at work) is akin to making fine wine -- long and slow as it is by doing this the flavour develops far better than than the shorter time :)
But what do I know
User avatar
BriCan
Registered Member
 
Posts: 2190
Joined: Wed Apr 07, 2010 12:07 am
Location: West Coast of Canada

Re: sausage debauchery on facebook

Postby moldy meat » Sat May 21, 2016 5:57 pm

ped wrote:MM, love the enthusiasm, could I recommend that you get a few projects (using a regular curing/fermenting/drying/maturation process) under your belt before you get into the high tech stuff, this is a process which appreciates a hands on approach, there will be plenty of time in the future to tweak and refine, perhaps consider, unless you are intending to produce on a relatively high volume commercial basis that as a hobbyist there really is no need for it, unless you just don't have time to monitor things yourself?. Saying all that, I am probably a little older than you? and take a more relaxed long term approach to things (though the tech won't necessarily speed things up!)....just sayin ;)


thanks for the words of encouragement and wisdom. i have no interest in commercial production, this is strictly for fun. since my chamber controller is already built and running, it will be awhile before i automate it. i am not exactly rolling in the disposable income, so there is that. but it would be great to be able to monitor and log the atmospheric conditions and have a log to look back on. i know that there is no way to speed up perfection, that is definitely not the premise of my automation ideas. i will celebrate my 50th lap around the sun this year, do you still think you are a little older? :wink:

MM
moldy meat
Registered Member
 
Posts: 44
Joined: Sun Mar 27, 2016 9:01 pm
Location: Pacific Northwest

Re: sausage debauchery on facebook

Postby moldy meat » Sat May 21, 2016 6:15 pm

BriCan wrote:
ped wrote:MM, love the enthusiasm, unless you just don't have time to monitor things yourself?. Saying all that, I am probably a little older than you? and take a more relaxed long term approach to things (though the tech won't necessarily speed things up!)....just sayin ;)


A relaxed long term approach is always good ;) being a small commercial producer I always strive for the long term as this "always" produces a better flavour profile IMMHO

Salame's take me an average of six months at the earliest most likely 12 months ... whole muscles about eighteen months

The reason for this is because my temperatures are between 4 to 5 degrees C with humidity between 70% to 80%

As said; the way I do things (no special equipment, just a walk-in cooler at work) is akin to making fine wine -- long and slow as it is by doing this the flavour develops far better than than the shorter time :)


i am definitely not trying to take any shortcuts, as it is the flavor that i am doing this for. :wink: i do love me some fermented meat goodness. 8) i am thankful that i have the fine folks here and on facebook to guide and help me learn about curing meats. having the benefit of experience and knowledge that people like you and ped are willing to share makes a huge difference.

MM
moldy meat
Registered Member
 
Posts: 44
Joined: Sun Mar 27, 2016 9:01 pm
Location: Pacific Northwest


Return to Chatter

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests