Fresh Sausage bursting out of ends?

Introductions and chatter

Fresh Sausage bursting out of ends?

Postby Fingers » Tue Jun 28, 2016 11:45 am

Hello

I have made quite a lot of batches of fresh sausage of different sorts, using 32/36 hog casing. They make loverly plump sausage. I have found that trying to cook them in the frying pan just causes them to burst out the ends. Cooking them in the oven stops this but not for all my recipes.

I thought it was moisture but after making Pork and apple (for the first time) I used raw cooking apples well over 25% and added cider, so masses of moisture and they kept together in the oven fine. Just ended up with a load of stock in the tray :). I later learn to use dried apples and reduce the cider down.

So my question is, what is the causing factor of the contents wanting to oose out the ends. They are well twisted at both end I may add.

Cheers
Fingers
Registered Member

Re: Fresh Sausage bursting out of ends?

Postby NCPaul » Tue Jun 28, 2016 10:39 pm

After I finish making a batch, I put them on a rack and let them dry overnight in the fridge. The skins dry and hold the link and the flavor blends. From there I will usually poach the sausages so that I only have to heat them gently to give them some color. One other thing I try to do is to salt the meat the night before I make sausage to help with myosin development. The better this is the better the liquid retention.
Fashionably late will be stylishly hungry.
NCPaul
Site Admin

Postby BriCan » Wed Jun 29, 2016 1:49 am

Fingers wrote:my question is, what is the causing factor of the contents wanting to oose out the ends. They are well twisted at both end I may add.

Cheers

You only mention you tend only to have this problem when cooking in the frying pan ... but you need to give a little more information than that :)

Recipe??

Heat/temperature??

Strait from the fridge??

Just been made??

Oil, butter, lard, dripping??

So as you can see more information will help to solve the problem :)
But what do I know
BriCan
Registered Member

Postby Fingers » Wed Jun 29, 2016 6:07 am

So I guess the first thing is this is not just an easy fix and its something which has happened to all. And sounds like a cooking process more than the making.

I have been letting them bloom in the fridge for 24 _48 hours then cooking or freezing. I do stuff them quite tight so maybe leaving no room for any expansion. Maybe I am not fully soaking the rusk, I do think leaving it a little dry will soak up the juices when cooking and making for a tastier sausage.

I have tried cooking on the frying pan very slow with olive oil and they still loose out the ends. I am wanting to find a fix or recipe so that I can BBQ, maybe all meat no rusk?
Fingers
Registered Member

Postby BriCan » Wed Jun 29, 2016 2:16 pm

Fingers wrote:I have tried cooking on the frying pan very slow with olive oil and they still loose out the ends. I am wanting to find a fix or recipe so that I can BBQ, maybe all meat no rusk?

So my next obvious question is ...

Lets look at your recipe :)

we will start at the beginning :lol:
But what do I know
BriCan
Registered Member

Postby wheels » Wed Jun 29, 2016 11:07 pm

Fingers wrote:...I am wanting to find a fix or recipe so that I can BBQ, maybe all meat no rusk?

Rusk, or no rusk, is a personal preference. It's not the issue here.

You can make sausage rusk that doesn't do this - the supermarkets and 'Richmond' prove this every day.

Please post the recipe that you used.

Phil
wheels
Global Moderator

Postby Snags » Thu Jun 30, 2016 7:24 am

Im wondering if the apple is fermenting and expanding?
yet to take the plunge still researching
Snags
Registered Member

Postby BriCan » Thu Jun 30, 2016 9:11 am

Snags wrote:Im wondering if the apple is fermenting and expanding?

It should not and I have never come across this (but thats not to say it cannot happen), I revised my pork and apple sausage recipe for a client a few weeks ago which has become a great hit at the restaurant, I used dehydrated and fresh apple/s

Still waiting for Fingers to supply the recipe so we can at least put on the right track ;)
But what do I know
BriCan
Registered Member

Postby Fingers » Thu Jun 30, 2016 9:34 am

I am struggling to recall the recipe, these were the first attempts which after they just oosed out I then just cook all my sausage in the oven and they tend to be fine.

The ones that burst may have been pork shoulder 80% pork Belly 20% I would have used home made bread crumb 10% (now use cream crackers) I recall them being quite a crumbly texture once cooked. I tried frying that same batch very slow which did help a little as they did not oose out so much. Sorry I cant give you all the details.

I was thinking they maybe a simple answer, maybe moisture or putting through the grinder twice or not needing the mix enough. Possibly over stuffing as I do have them pretty well packed, maybe the large skins which I have just double checked are actually 36/40's need to be very slowly cooked.?
Fingers
Registered Member

Postby wheels » Thu Jun 30, 2016 2:17 pm

I assume that you also used liquid with the crumbs? Maybe equal water:breadcrumb?

FWIW, If I had to take a blind guess at it, I'd go for over-stuffing.

Phil
wheels
Global Moderator

Postby Fingers » Thu Jun 30, 2016 3:11 pm

Not sure how to go on with the bread crumb (processed cream crackers) since switching to the crackers for crumb I have been soaking them in a little water but erring on the dry side as I think this will leave a bit of soakup left for the meat juices.
Fingers
Registered Member

Postby BriCan » Fri Jul 01, 2016 7:03 am

Fingers wrote:Not sure how to go on with the bread crumb (processed cream crackers) since switching to the crackers for crumb I have been soaking them in a little water but erring on the dry side as I think this will leave a bit of soakup left for the meat juices.

It seems that we may never be able to nail what is wrong with your recipe and your sausage bursting out of the ends and noting that you did a Pork and Apple sausage

I have just written up a Pork and Apple sausage I created for a (London) Chef who has a couple of restaurants out here in Vancouver -- He has taken over four batched so far and has had no problems at all -- So we know the recipe is sound -- Lets see how you fair in cooking these :)

Wonder over here and have a look ........ :)

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=12730
But what do I know
BriCan
Registered Member

Postby Fingers » Fri Jul 01, 2016 7:41 am

Thanks Brian

Will have a look at that Cheers.

Made a discovery last night, my lamb and mint sausage that had been frozen and defrosted, but not fully. Went in the oven and the skins shrank in 6 out of 9, so notable that a couple were half the size of the sausage. I think this is the problem. the skins are shrinking. My wife said that some of the sausage was not quite defrosted so I wager that these were the ones that had the skin shrink.

Maybe the sausage needs to be at room temp before cooking?
Fingers
Registered Member

Postby Fingers » Sun Jul 03, 2016 10:50 am

Update, think I've got to the bottom of it.

Just cooked some of the same lamb and mint batch in the oven after thoroughly defrosting. No skin shrinkage to worry about, no bursting out the ends. It would seem they need to be room temp before cooking to get best results.

This at least is for how I am making them, I have in the past cooked shop bought from frozen, from the fridge, without the skin shrinkage I am encountering?
Fingers
Registered Member

Postby kil2k » Thu Jul 21, 2016 8:01 am

They should be fine from frozen, and on the BBQ. I regularly grab a pack of home made sausages out of the freezer and put them straight on the BBQ over indirect heat, then separate them once they've defrosted.

Best guess is that they're overstuffed, or linked too tight. I soak my casings for quite a while, and try not to stuff them tight to prevent splitting when I'm linking. Couple of pricks in each one before blooming, and they're good to go.
kil2k
Registered Member

Next

Return to Chatter