Cold Smoking fresh sausage?

Introductions and chatter

Cold Smoking fresh sausage?

Postby Fingers » Mon Sep 12, 2016 4:22 pm

I have some bacon on the go and once cured in the fridge I plan to cold smoke. Along with some cheese, paprika and possibly fresh sausage?

I have some fresh chorizo which is for cooking and thought I might give it a cold smoke. Hopefully giving it a nice smokey flavour?

Anyone have any success with cold smoking fresh sausages, of any sort?
Fingers
Registered Member

Re: Cold Smoking fresh sausage?

Postby wheels » Mon Sep 12, 2016 6:35 pm

My thought is: No Cure: No Smoke...

...particularly cold smoke.

Phil
wheels
Global Moderator

Postby crustyo44 » Mon Sep 12, 2016 7:42 pm

I totally agree with Phil, No cure #1 in your sausage is the same as Russian Roulette if you are smoking them.
Jan.
crustyo44
Registered Member

Postby DanMcG » Mon Sep 12, 2016 9:18 pm

Cold smoking isn't an option for fresh sausage... you need cure #1
DanMcG
Registered Member

Postby Fingers » Tue Sep 13, 2016 6:14 am

They are going to be cooked after, sorry I was not clear on that.
Fingers
Registered Member

Postby NCPaul » Tue Sep 13, 2016 10:15 am

It would be better to make a new batch using cure # 1 with the plan to cold smoke then cook.
Fashionably late will be stylishly hungry.
NCPaul
Site Admin

Postby Fingers » Tue Sep 13, 2016 10:58 am

Mmmm it would seem am thinking wrongly about this cold smoking process, its maybe not as benign a process as I thought.

The plan was make a batch, leave in fridge to dry a little, 24 hours. Cold smoke for 12 hours and then back into fridge to eat within a couple of days after cooking like you would a raw fresh sausage.

So is it more a case of curing sausage in the usual way ie 2.5% salt 0.25% cure#2 or #1 in this case. Hang for a day or two to dry then cold smoke for 12-24 hours then back in the drying room to loose say 25-33% weight?
Fingers
Registered Member

Postby NCPaul » Tue Sep 13, 2016 1:30 pm

The salt does not have to be that high. Use cure # 1, not # 2. Cold smoking creates a depleted oxygen environment that encourages certain harmful bacteria and the temperature is above 5 C which encourages bacterial growth as well. Cold smoking is typically done between 10-15 C. You can cook after smoking. This would be a different thing than a cold smoked salami.
Fashionably late will be stylishly hungry.
NCPaul
Site Admin

Postby wheels » Tue Sep 13, 2016 1:50 pm

To be perfectly clear - cooking won't kill some of the types of nasties that can develop during 'unprotected' cold smoking. Using cure #1 will.
wheels
Global Moderator

Postby Fingers » Tue Sep 13, 2016 2:02 pm

Cheers Paul

So would I be correct in thinking;

1) For curing and smoking like a salami or chorizo to eat without cooking would I just put the usual none cold smoking % of salt n cure#1 (NOT cure#2). Then cold smoke for as long as I feel is to my taste, then dry till 25-30% weight loss. Just like the salami curing process only adding a period, or periods, of cold smoking to it and using cure#1 not #2.

2) If I am to cook before eating, I could reduce the salt to taste but ad cure #1 at the usual %0.25, dry for 24 hours in the fridge, cold smoke for lets say 24 hours provided the temp is below the 15c. Then cook and eat or freeze for later. If this is correct then is there not a min period before the cure#1 is safe to eat?
Fingers
Registered Member

Postby wheels » Tue Sep 13, 2016 2:52 pm

For curing, smoking (optional), and drying for salami type products, that will be dried over a long period, use specific levels of salt (per recipe from reliable source) along with cure #2 and usually sugar/dextrose and culture.

For fresh smoked sausage just add cure #1 to the recipe.

For chorizo and other 'short term' dried products that are being smoked add cure #1. But, if you plan on keeping them for a while, use cure #2.

Likewise, unsmoked short term items that are being dried can be protected with cure #1 instead of cure #2.

Please note that the cures only protect from some of the nasty bacteria out there. Other procedures/controls are required for the others.

Stanley Marianski has authored a range of book's on the subject, I recommend anyone planning on making anything other than basic fresh sausage to invest in one before buying the meat.

Phil
wheels
Global Moderator

Postby Fingers » Tue Sep 13, 2016 3:44 pm

Cheers Folks

I successfully cured salami and pancetta in the winter so feel comfortable with the curing process.

The short term cured chorizo has me a little confused against the loosing 30% weight is now safe to eat. The chorizo I have bought in the shops is quite soft and nothing like the hard salami I cured after 30% loss. Is it the cold smoking process that cures without needing to loose the 30%. More research needed here.
Fingers
Registered Member

Postby wheels » Tue Sep 13, 2016 4:19 pm

There are two types of chorizo - fresh and dried. Hence the confusion.

It should also be noted that many chorizo aren't smoked.

Phil
wheels
Global Moderator

Postby Fingers » Tue Sep 13, 2016 4:39 pm

It is the cured chorizo I refer to Phil, the likes from Asda or Morrisons, cured and ready to eat. Yet they are soft, not fresh sausage soft but softer than my salami after loosing 33% weight, which is hard in comparison.
Maybe the quantity of paprika which is massive makes the sausage retain a soft texture?

I have made fresh chorizo but not having cured them before, I can only but try in the winter. Maybe they will have the softer texture to my salami. I guess they must need to loose the safe amount of water the same as any cured sausage.
Fingers
Registered Member

Postby wheels » Tue Sep 13, 2016 5:01 pm

They've probably got more fat in them. The fat doesn't lose weight (or loses very little). The weight loss is mainly from the lean muscle.

Phil
wheels
Global Moderator

Return to Chatter