Max temp for drying bacon?

Introductions and chatter

Max temp for drying bacon?

Postby Fingers » Sat Sep 17, 2016 10:28 am

Hi folks

I want to dry my 8 day fridge cured pork belly in my drying room for a couple of days or more. However the current temp is 14deg C and I expect this to rise during the day.

I thought it was 15deg C but is this the same for bacon that's going to be cooked?

Cheers
Fingers
Registered Member

Re: Max temp for drying bacon?

Postby wheels » Sat Sep 17, 2016 3:10 pm

15.6°C is the temp where Staph. Aureus start to multiply rapidly, so personally I'd try to keep below that.

Phil
wheels
Global Moderator

Postby Shuswap » Sun Sep 18, 2016 1:14 pm

This is at least the 2nd time Wheels has made this point and yet I fear it gets lost in individual threads. Is there some way to make this red flag more permanent?
Another Phil
Shuswap
Registered Member

Postby johngaltsmotor » Mon Sep 19, 2016 5:06 pm

Shuswap wrote:This is at least the 2nd time Wheels has made this point and yet I fear it gets lost in individual threads. Is there some way to make this red flag more permanent?
Another Phil

Perhaps a "SAFETY" topic is in order, not just a thread, but a dedicated category. Then a limited number of stickies that can only be edited by moderators. Things like safe temperatures, g/kg limits on adding cure to various products, trichinella freezing, when to use cure 1 vs cure 2, etc.

Granted, many of those questions could be answered RTFM (referring to the Marianaksi books) but even I sometimes forget just how much can be found in there, and newbies aren't likely to buy a reference book until they've gotten their feet wet.
Pigs are magical creatures.... they turn vegetables into BACON!!
johngaltsmotor
Registered Member

Return to Chatter