Lactose ingredient?

Introductions and chatter

Lactose ingredient?

Postby Fingers » Mon Feb 20, 2017 8:25 pm

Trying to recreate a french sausage from the ingredients on the back. Lactose being quite a mayor one coming just after salt. So after leaving it out as I don't have any to hand the flavour is not right, because of other ingredients % but I can fix that. Is there a substitute for lactose which is (sugar milk) could dried milk and sugar produce the same flavour?

Could it be that simple?
Fingers
Registered Member

Re: Lactose ingredient?

Postby NCPaul » Mon Feb 20, 2017 8:42 pm

Here non fat dried milk (NFDM) has about 50 % lactose so I would use that.
Fashionably late will be stylishly hungry.
NCPaul
Site Admin

Postby wheels » Mon Feb 20, 2017 10:02 pm

Is it a fresh sausage or dried? Can you post a link/picture of the ingredients list - the other ingredients may give a clue as to the best alternatives.

Phil
wheels
Global Moderator

Postby Fingers » Tue Feb 21, 2017 3:28 pm

This is all I have on the recipe fresh sausage

https://onedrive.live.com/?authkey=%21A ... ot&o=OneUp
Fingers
Registered Member

Postby wheels » Tue Feb 21, 2017 5:11 pm

Odd, it looks like a cooking sausage, but with cure and possibly cultures (ferments-contents milk = lactic bacteria cultures?). As to the lactose, I'd be tempted to replace that with a little glucose/dextrose/sugar. The meat and % seems odd for a fresh sausage, more than 100%. I wonder if its semi dried?

Phil
wheels
Global Moderator

Postby Fingers » Tue Feb 21, 2017 6:36 pm

I have just noticed that the salt is 2.3% so they could well be semi cured. They taste just like fresh sausage but certainly not overly salty.
Fingers
Registered Member

Postby onewheeler » Wed Feb 22, 2017 2:43 pm

There's a bit of a clue in that the label says cured, although all of the diôts I've enjoyed (which is all of the ones I've tasted!) have been either fresh or at most semi-cured. They're a speciality of the Savoie. They seem to come in several varieties: plain, smoked and cabbage (savoy of course) being often found in the supermarché. Even the ones which seem to be fresh have a cured flavour. I'd be inclined to add some cure #1 and either leave them overnight or let them hang in a fridge for a few days. They always look cured after cooking: the filling is always at least pink. The meat should be fairly coarsley minced. I'd forget the lactose, can't see it will do much, or add a little sugar as per below.

My notes say:

"Aspect : les Diots ont une forme allongée typique des saucisses de 10 à 15 cm de long, pour un diamètre d’environ 5 cm et un poids de 180 g à 200 g. De couleur rose foncée, de texture tendre, la chaire hachée fine est composée d'épaule ou de pointe de porc dégraissée (50 à 70 %), de lard découénné, de gras de porc ou de gras de bardière (30 à 50 %), assaisonné d'ail frais (1 gr / kg), de sel (20g / kg), de poivre (1 ou 2 g / kg), de noix de muscade râpée (l g / kg), de 4 épices (2 g / kg). il est aussi possible d'ajouter du vin rouge savoyard (1 / 5 kg) ainsi que du maigre de bœuf.

http://enilv.rhone-alpes.chambagri.fr/e ... enDocument [link doesn't work any more]

Les additifs utilisés sont assez simples :

 sel : 20 g/kg ;
 salpêtre : 0,3 g/kg – parfois : sans salpêtre ;
 sucre : 2 à 5 g/kg ;
 poivre noir ou blanc moulu : 1 à 3 g/kg ;
 ail, pulpe d’ail (salée, pasteurisée) : 1 à 5 g/kg ;
 vin/alcool : parfois (vin : 20 g/kg environ - alcool de Pays ou rhum : 5 à 10 g/kg)."

Nice cooked in a mustardy wine sauce with a few new potatoes.

Bon appetit!

Martin/
onewheeler
Registered Member

Return to Chatter