Making Ham?

Introductions and chatter

Making Ham?

Postby Fingers » Wed Mar 22, 2017 10:51 am

Hello Folks

I am wanting to make Ham. I am reading that this needs to be cured in brine, or does it?

I know how to cure using the bag and I guess I could just use the same process, but. Does the brine impart a great deal of moisture into the meat?

So

Like the cure in the bag method with regards to % of salt and cure to weight is there a formula for brine curing?

Cheers
Fingers
Registered Member

Re: Making Ham?

Postby wheels » Wed Mar 22, 2017 5:32 pm

You can dry cure, brine cure, pump cure, or a combination of them, when making ham. Funnily enough, wet cured meat can be as dry as dry-cured.

A combination injection and dry cure is the preferred method of many, Captasin Wassname's make the injection easier by using only 6%:

viewtopic.php?t=9433

There's a couple of brine ones, plus a straight injection one, on my site (link below). The cider or black ham recipes can be used as a base with other liquids/ingredients. I'm assuming that you're OK sorting a dry cured one out yourself, if you choose that method?

HTH
wheels
Global Moderator

Postby Fingers » Wed Mar 22, 2017 5:55 pm

Cheers Wheels that's champion thanks, just what I was after.

Interesting your saying it would be no more moist than if I used the bag method. The injection method might be what I am after.

So the brine was 30 gms sugar 7.5 gms cure#1 and 22.5 gms salt mixed in 120 gms water. I injected this and rubbed the rest of the salt and sugar as usual and wrapped in clingfilm and put in the fridge for 12 days.

Not sure what he means by 6% but I can grasp what he's done in this quote. Very interesting he's wrapped (I guess tight) in cling film as I do struggle to get all the air out my bags, not having a vacuum packer.

Meat injector ordered, I guess this is the sort of thing used?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/131992815300
Fingers
Registered Member

Postby wheels » Wed Mar 22, 2017 11:56 pm

When you have everything, post back here and I'll check the numbers for you.

Phil
wheels
Global Moderator

Postby Fingers » Thu Mar 30, 2017 11:38 am

Ok Phil, I have my injector

I was thinking about 2% salt 1% Dextrose the usual 0.25% cure#1.

I would like to inject half this and rub the rest, then wrap in cling film and fridge it.
So the questions are;
How much water do you use to mix half the cure?
Do you mix it warm so the salt and cure#1 dissolve then chill before injecting?

Cheers
Steven
Fingers
Registered Member

Postby wheels » Thu Mar 30, 2017 12:20 pm

For a standard inject and dry cure, everything you need to know, plus a calculator, is here: viewtopic.php?f=16&t=4899

For the 6% inject that I mentioned, if you can wait a couple of days, I'll come up with a calculator - or post the actual meat weight and we'll work it out together.

Phil
wheels
Global Moderator

Postby Fingers » Thu Mar 30, 2017 12:29 pm

Phil the Brine Calc sheet is spot on Cheers

However I dont have Saltpetre, can this be omitted?
Fingers
Registered Member

Postby wheels » Sat Apr 01, 2017 3:33 pm

Yes, it can. (Sorry for delay in reply!)

Phil
wheels
Global Moderator

Postby Fingers » Mon Apr 03, 2017 1:29 pm

Cheers Phil

I guessed it could be, its in the fridge now.
Fingers
Registered Member

Postby Fingers » Tue Apr 04, 2017 3:19 pm

A couple more questions if I may Phil

heated until the liquid is around 70-75C. The liquid is tasted after about 15 minutes cooking and if salty replaced with fresh water. It is left to cook until the middle of the meat is 72C

Is it a question of turning on and off the gas to keep it at 70-75C and stop it from boiling?

When boiling can this be done in a sealed bag to retain moisture and flavour in the meat?
Fingers
Registered Member

Postby wheels » Tue Apr 04, 2017 10:06 pm

I do mine a variety of ways. Either in a large 22L pan - a low heat keeps it ticking over nicely at 75°C. In my slow-cooker where the 'keep warm' setting gives a nice 75°C. Or in the base of my bain-marie with a temperature controller.

Do whatever's good for you. You could do it in a very low oven. Or even in a hotter oven - but if you do this take it out at a much lower temperature - 'cos it'll over-run. There's a thread somewhere in which Brican shows this in a photo tutorial.

However you do it: enjoy!

Phil
wheels
Global Moderator

Postby BriCan » Wed Apr 05, 2017 8:06 am

Fingers wrote:A couple more questions if I may Phil

heated until the liquid is around 70-75C. The liquid is tasted after about 15 minutes cooking and if salty replaced with fresh water. It is left to cook until the middle of the meat is 72C

My concern would be in cooking until the middle of the meat is at 72C as this will overcook the meat/ham

It is IMMHO to cook until the middle of the meat attains a temperature of no more than 60C and pull out of oven or off the stove and let rest in the liquid as it will attain 72C and not over cook
But what do I know
BriCan
Registered Member

Postby Fingers » Mon May 01, 2017 7:23 pm

This method worked a charm, fantastic ham, everyone loved it. Thanks again Phil

I am presuming the same injection method can be employed for bacon. I have in the past rubbed, bagged and fridged for 7 days, rinsed dried for a day or two, slice n freeze.

Can I leave in the bag for 14 days, if so is there any limit to this for optimum curing? Then once out the bag how long can you Dr in the fridge before that cured fat flavour kicks in. If you know what I mean. I would like to slice and freeze before it gets that cured meat taste which is more pancetta than bacon.
Fingers
Registered Member

Postby wheels » Mon May 01, 2017 8:35 pm

You can use this for bacon. Personally, I'd use a dry cure. I prefer it for bacon.

The inject/dry cure should be fine for 14 days. There's no optimum time - it just needs long enough. If I'm freezing bacon, I do it about 1 week after curing.

HTH
wheels
Global Moderator

Return to Chatter