Curing & freezing Corned Beef....

Introductions and chatter

Curing & freezing Corned Beef....

Postby turnerm » Sun Apr 30, 2017 9:52 pm

I am doing a bit of a test on curing Brisket for Corned Beef....I have done a brine cure on one piece (about 3lbs)
Also a dry cure on a similar sized piece of brisket (flat)....Dry cure (rub for 7 days) and wet cure (brine for 5 days)...
I have also just put a 5 lb piece of what we in Canada call a "bottom round)....This is a tough roast and I injected it with the leftover liquid brine cure from above...and then submersed it in the brine solution where it will stay for 6-7 days...
My question is this : Once I have completed my cure(s) above. I plan to take each of the 3 pieces of beef above and vacuum seal and into the fridge (or freezer)...Am I going to have any problems freezing at this stage...
I have Prague #1 in all of the above cures...

Any comments would be appreciated...

Thanks...

Michael Turner...
turnerm
Registered Member

Re: Curing & freezing Corned Beef....

Postby NCPaul » Mon May 01, 2017 10:44 am

It can be frozen after curing. Remember to defrost it as uncooked meat later. What are you hoping to decide from these three curing strategies?
Fashionably late will be stylishly hungry.
NCPaul
Site Admin

Re: Curing & freezing Corned Beef....

Postby turnerm » Mon May 01, 2017 4:35 pm

Thanks for the reply Paul....
I hope to achieve the following...
1. dry cure vs brine cure..Any difference??? OR which do I prefer????
2. "Bottom Round" trial....Will I be as happy with the bottom round as the brisket...

Brisket in Vancouver has become so expensive (anywhere from $7.00 to $13,00 Cdn/lb) Bottom Round is
Cdn $4.00/lb/.....The Cdn$ is worth about US $0.75 and about 0.58 GBP...A few weeks ago, I bought a "Packer cut brisket (vacuum packed) (14 lbs) It was Cdn $6.99/lb...total cost Cdn$98.00....NOT WORTH THAT SORT OF MONEY...
I may even carry on and turn some of my corned beef into pastrami with a bit of smoke...

Thus, the reasons for my non-scientific test...

Regards

Mike
turnerm
Registered Member

Return to Chatter