New here

Introductions and chatter

New here

Postby petit couchon » Mon May 08, 2017 6:45 am

Hi all,
Just dropping a couple of lines to introduce myself, my names Kevin, i'm living in France and this is the reason i started researching on how to make British sausage.
i'm lucky in the fact that there is a pig farm with a farm shop 5 mins from whare i live, the quality of Pork is outstanding, my first batch of sausage was made on Saturday using an 80/20 mix of pork chine or neck and belly pork rusk spices and water and they turned out as near as dammit to the sausage we know and love, after 15 years we've never found a decent tasting sausage in France.
The main problem was filling the skins using my Kenwood mincer sausage attachement, I have just orderd the hobby filler from this site as a 2 Kilo batch is perfect for me and my wife, heres a photo of our very first batch
all be it a bit chubby but that will come with experience I suppose but they cooked perfect with good taste and texture.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/8alds4q3qwkhw ... 2.JPG?dl=0
petit couchon
Registered Member

Re: New here

Postby jenny_haddow » Mon May 08, 2017 4:38 pm

Hi, welcome to the forum. I too make my own sausages in France. I did 5 kilos of Cumberlands last week, our French neighbours are always pleased to receive a few. Where do you get your casings? I've used the casings which are handily sold in the supermarkets, but I still prefer those I bring out from the UK. The sausage stuffer will be a real bonus when you make your next batch.
You sausages look great, well done.

Jenny
jenny_haddow
Registered Member

Postby wheels » Mon May 08, 2017 4:43 pm

Hi Keith, welcome. :D

Phil
wheels
Global Moderator

Postby petit couchon » Tue May 09, 2017 5:05 am

Thanks,
For my first batch I purchased the casings and seasonings from these guys in the UK look for them on eBay as for some reason postage to France was cheaper on eBay than there UK website goods received very prompt http://www.tongmaster.co.uk/.
petit couchon
Registered Member

Postby sevorg » Sat May 13, 2017 9:22 pm

Hi, and welcome! I'm new here also and have just bought the Pro-V 3L stuffer after struggling with a mincer and an attachment. I made two, half size batches today to test a couple of recipes from the forum and both are absolutely fantastic!

I made plain sausage by Wheels - Page 3 on this link viewtopic.php?f=1&t=3853&start=30 but to the amended recipe, and they are outstanding. I made them as chippolatas for a breakfast sausage and will certainly be making them again.

The second batch was a Lincolnshire from Parson Snows - viewtopic.php?f=1&t=431&p=2936&hilit=lincolnshire#p2936 with minor mods as I forgot the allspice. These are sublime, really to my taste and will also become a stock item in the freezer.

I also made Oddley's Cumberland recipe a couple of weeks ago as my first attempt at home-made and these are another one well worth a try. Unfortunately I replaced dried thyme with fresh and over compensated (3:1) so this became the dominant flavour. Still really good, despite my error, so I will make these again but using the correct ingredients and quantities!

Tom
sevorg
Registered Member

Postby DanMcG » Sun May 14, 2017 8:53 am

Welcome to the forums Kevin, Your sausages look very nice. What size casing did you buy? I like chubby sausages
Dan
DanMcG
Registered Member

Postby wheels » Sun May 14, 2017 1:47 pm

sevorg wrote:...I also made Oddley's Cumberland recipe a couple of weeks ago as my first attempt at home-made and these are another one well worth a try. Unfortunately I replaced dried thyme with fresh and over compensated (3:1) so this became the dominant flavour. Still really good, despite my error, so I will make these again but using the correct ingredients and quantities!

Tom

I may get pilloried for saying this, as Oddley's Cumberlands are very popular, but I don't really think there's a place for thyme in a Cumberland. Yes, I know it's on the PGI list, but I've rarely seen a recipe with it in. In fact, Cumberland should be predominantly spice based, and mainly pepper in my opinion.

Phil
wheels
Global Moderator

Postby petit couchon » Mon May 15, 2017 12:16 pm

DanMcG wrote:Welcome to the forums Kevin, Your sausages look very nice. What size casing did you buy? I like chubby sausages
Dan

Hi Dan,
I used 34/38 Nat hog casings, infact after cooking they turned out perfect, I put two of the chubby porkers in some home made bread buns that were made using Wheels recipie on his food blog, thanks Wheels, perfect soft baps.
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B80hf ... zJYYWt5Y2c
petit couchon
Registered Member

Return to Chatter